1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Practice passages: AAMC pack or Khan Academy?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Saf1, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Saf1

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The problem I have with the AAMC pack is that they are primarily old passages from the old practice tests. You really notice this is a problem when you do the khan academy passages, which were created by the AAMC test writers and are brand new for the new MCAT, because these are way more integrated conceptually and are more reasoning based rather than knowledge based.

I've kind of settled on AAMC for verbal (only because I ran out of KA CARS passages pretty quickly) and some bio, but KA for Physical and Psych.

The problem with KA passages is some of them are just over the top ridiculously difficult. It throws me off and I'm not sure if there's too much of a benefit in hammering myself with something that may be much tougher than the actual exam.

2. TheAnonymous

2+ Year Member

Khan passages were not created by the AAMC test writers. Although they prepare you and test you on the same skill sets, they are not representative of the AAMC-type questions.

Definitely go through all AAMC-materials if you haven't already.

3. piii

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Medical Student

#3 piii, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  4. Saf1

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You could stand to have a more appropriate tone in your posts.

novak123 and EEtoPre-Med like this.
  5. nomdeplume1234

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do you think the AAMC chose questions for a reason or just to release something to make $$ off of? I mean if they truly wanted to help us out they could have released a psy/soc question pack too.

6. Saf1

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree that it's messed up the AAMC wouldn't at least produce some practice Psych passages beyond the ones in the single practice exam. I imagined that's why they endorsed the KA materials.

7. Dreamstoo

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think it's fair to ask AAMC to release a psych/soc question pack. They released about 11 tests over a 20+ year span of the old test. I think it's really nice of them to have already released a sample test and an Official Guide and another FL this Fall.

I kind of commend them for accomplishing that much within a 8 month window of the new test in 2015.

8. Profound

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sounds like your typical case of Stockholm syndrome.

Dreamstoo likes this.
  9. Saf1

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I get where you're coming from, but they've been planning this change for like 4-5 years.

10. Aren't the AAMC question packs just questions from the old AAMC practice tests?

Never mind i just read the OP's post fully :laugh:

I'm going through the Psyc/Soc passages from the TPR science workbook. The passages are very data analysis/research based and it looks AAMC-like to me. I'd recommend it if anyone's looking for extra practice. Sadly there's only 30 Pysc/Soc passages in the book.

11. GoljansRightBicep

GoljansRightBicep Call Me Poppie
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If time is of the essence, is it worth squeezing in the KA passages? I don't really have time to do them after all the AAMC material, but I could make time if those who have taken the MCAT found them helpful.

12. TheAnonymous

2+ Year Member

I only have done ~30 passages from KA but I do find them to be helpful. I'd suggest doing like half or 1/3 of them (I believe there are around 400 or so passages) in that case. Maybe try doing a few passages from each section and see if you think they can help.

13. Dreamstoo

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Great practice I agree.

14. radioactive15

2+ Year Member

Should I re-do my question packs before my MCAT?

I first did them two months ago and was wondering if I should re-do them to regain the testing style familiarity