Practice practice practice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samuraiR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at buying more practice material to supplement my current material.
I have EK Series and TPR Hyperlearning.
I definitely need a detailed approach to everything...since its been a few years since most of the pre-reqs.
I am debating getting

1. Kaplan QBank = $200
2. EK1001/101 Series= $I think its like...120? 150? on amazon
3. Gold Standard CBTs = 10 for $150
4. TBR CBTs = 7 for $200

if you could only pick 2 of those, which would you pick? I am already definitely going to get AAMC tests.

I just dont have the kind of money to get all of those.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm looking at buying more practice material to supplement my current material.
I have EK Series and TPR Hyperlearning.
I definitely need a detailed approach to everything...since its been a few years since most of the pre-reqs.
I am debating getting

1. Kaplan QBank = $200
2. EK1001/101 Series= $I think its like...120? 150? on amazon
3. Gold Standard CBTs = 10 for $150
4. TBR CBTs = 7 for $200

if you could only pick 2 of those, which would you pick? I am already definitely going to get AAMC tests.

I just dont have the kind of money to get all of those.

Thanks

Because you need details, TBR CBTs are the best of the four choices you listed. Their answer explanations are very thorough, and they'll teach you things. While I liked EK materials, I hated their short explanations that were often useless. If you want details, EK is not your best choice.

I plan to get GS exams this time around (I took the test five years ago and have outdated scores) to supplement the BR books I'm using. Thankfully, I have most of my materials from years ago, so I didn't have to buy much.

Because you need details, TBR CBTs are the best of the four choices you listed. Their answer explanations are very thorough, and they'll teach you things. While I liked EK materials, I hated their short explanations that were often useless. If you want details, EK is not your best choice.

I plan to get GS exams this time around (I took the test five years ago and have outdated scores) to supplement the BR books I'm using. Thankfully, I have most of my materials from years ago, so I didn't have to buy much.

Ive been noticing that as well, EK answers are so..vague. If I didn't get it before I definitely still don't get it after. Are the 1001/101 series similar to the content review books?

Ive been noticing that as well, EK answers are so..vague. If I didn't get it before I definitely still don't get it after. Are the 1001/101 series similar to the content review books?

The 1001/101 books have horrible explanations. I think my physics 1001 took like 28 pages to answer all 1001 questions. They were maybe a sentence and a half each, and most of the time I'd sit there and think "yeah, I know the equation, but why is it B?" If you know your stuff really well, they are great repetition. But if you don't, then they can be really frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 1001/101 books have horrible explanations. I think my physics 1001 took like 28 pages to answer all 1001 questions. They were maybe a sentence and a half each, and most of the time I'd sit there and think "yeah, I know the equation, but why is it B?" If you know your stuff really well, they are great repetition. But if you don't, then they can be really frustrating.

Damn, I remember reading one answer that said "the answer is B because A C and D are obviously not right..." or something along those lines.... definitely wasnt "obvious' to me...

Maybe i'll stick with TBR CBTs and Kaplans QBank so I can keep track of which sections I need to work on.

Is it possible to buy EK 1001/101 series or do you have to buy the books individually? (not talking about the general EK subject review books)

I know I just started studying so call me naive, but I enjoy studying this stuff so much more then I enjoy being at work (i guess its all relative right)... I really wanna just leave work and head to the library to study right now.

stupid bills to pay :(

Note to everyone in college... dont ever graduate..."real life" isnt all its cut out to be.. lol:laugh:

I know I just started studying so call me naive, but I enjoy studying this stuff so much more then I enjoy being at work (i guess its all relative right)... I really wanna just leave work and head to the library to study right now.

stupid bills to pay :(

Note to everyone in college... dont ever graduate..."real life" isnt all its cut out to be.. lol:laugh:

eh college is overrated and generally a waste of time.

I don't understand why we can't have a system like in Europe and Asia where medical school starts after high school.

This isn't rocket science.

Of course, we need to keep the supply of doctors limited to keep the salaries high for the select few who memorized the 3rd step of glycolysis. :thumbdown: