Practice question help! (Urinalysis results)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RebyMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I took a practice COMSAE yesterday and there was a question that I still can not figure out! Please help:)
It went something like:
Asymptomatic pregnant patient has a urinalysis that is positive for nitrates but negative for leukocytes and leukocyte esterase. What would be the physical finding associated with this and what is the most appropriate next step?
(There was an answer choice that was like "normal physical exam and reassurance")

So Im confused because I thought that nitrates typically indicated infection with G- organism but without leukocytes present could an infection be going on? I have tried googling these lab results but unfortunately haven't been able to find anything to help me out!
If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Was " send sample out for culture and sensitivity" any of the answers ? as far as i know , you are not suppose to treat an asymptomatic pregnant patient based on a dipstick test ..

The presence of nitrite and absence of pyuria can be colonization i would assume ?

Last edited: