Practice Questions, Practice Questions, Practice Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heelshouse10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright everyone, I need some advice on how to amass as many practice questions as possible. Regardless of what anyone else says about read this and that and get all your subject down etc...I know reading is important...but super long periods of reading make me want to fall asleep and I really don't get anywhere---I figure if they tell you the best way to practice for the MCAT and the SAT is to take practice questions, this test can't be any different. So this thread is particularly devoted to whatever sources (sites, books, kaplan, other recommendations) out there to stack up the q's...

I especially want to hear from some of you who say they rocked the test by just doing practice questions every day for a long time (e.g. some of you say you just practice 50-100 per day) How did you get so many questions to begin with?!?!?!?

Members don't see this ad.

Alright everyone, I need some advice on how to amass as many practice questions as possible. Regardless of what anyone else says about read this and that and get all your subject down etc...I know reading is important...but super long periods of reading make me want to fall asleep and I really don't get anywhere---I figure if they tell you the best way to practice for the MCAT and the SAT is to take practice questions, this test can't be any different. So this thread is particularly devoted to whatever sources (sites, books, kaplan, other recommendations) out there to stack up the q's...

I especially want to hear from some of you who say they rocked the test by just doing practice questions every day for a long time (e.g. some of you say you just practice 50-100 per day) How did you get so many questions to begin with?!?!?!?

They use questions banks such as those provided by Kaplan, USMLEworld or USMLErx. I'm sure there's more, but those are some of the ones I've seen posted about. USMLEworld especially has a lot of fans.

http://www.usmleworld.com/step1QbankMain.asp

USMLE World
Kaplan Qbank
Board Simulator Series
Robbins review of pathology
Appleton and Lange review
Rapid Review of Pathology Online questions

Members don't see this ad :)
http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/webpath.html

i think theres close to 800 free questions divided into systems and general path

can anyone comment on whether these questions are representative of Step 1 q's?

Those are great questions to go through as well as Robbins qbank questions. I did them along with my path class instead of specifically for studying for Step 1, but I feel like they gave me a good picture of what's important to know for path. I don't know if they're representative or not, but they're certainly helpful. The best source for representative questions are the qbanks like usmleworld.

I don't know if just doing questions is a good idea. I think alternating questions with review is the best way.

obviously you can't do questions if you're not solid on the material...that's why I said I know reading is important...nowhere did I infer I wasn't going to review material.

random biochem q's i found

for vietnamese doctors haha! whether or not they are usmle "quality" or not is beside the point by the way. the more questions you see, the more active learning goes on rather than reading where you're not forced into active learning

http://vmgus.org/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=51.0

here's a much better one for a usmle forum...

http://usmlesteps.blogspot.com/2008/11/biochemistry-questions-posted-on-4usmle.html

anyone used usmle easy? some med schools apparently have subscritions where students have access to a portion of their question bank.

just wondering how they compared to usmle world

USMLEWORLD is the best and people often sleep on Robbins Review Questions which are also very very good

how difficult are these questions? are they supposed to be as good as usmle world and Robbins and cotran review of path?