Practice Rights 4 US Docs in Brazil/S.A.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reviewing the requirements for having a foreign medical degree recognized in Brazil. In Brazil it's called "revalidacao de diploma exterior". Like most South American countries, Brazil requires a minimum 6-year 7200 hour medical degree. Since the standard in the US is 4-year 4800 hour degree, a US medical degree does not satisfy the Brazil requirement. I think that this acts to permanently bar any American doc from the Brazilian medical market, while their docs can easily come to the US to practice.

Does anybody know if there ia a way around this?

Can a doc who is board certified in the US get licensed in Brazil?

I think that this issue, while unnoticed now, practiice rights will become increasingly important.

Anyone out there with knowledge of this?

Members don't see this ad.

To say a Brazilian doctor can easily practice here is a ridiculous oversimplification. As for your question, I imagine that residency training makes up the difference and I doubt a US trained physician would have much of a problem being allowed to practice in Brazil...

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone out there with knowledge of this?

I'm pretty sure that the 6 years starts right out of high school like it does in Europe.
Also, its not that easy for them to come and practice here. They still have to take all the board exams (1,2 and 3) and get licensed just like the rest of us.
I would be willing to bet that it would take fewer steps for an American doc to get licenced to practice there than it would be for a brazilian to get the same here

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the 6 year programs are straight out of high school.

I'm not sure it'd be easier or american docs to get licensed over there than them to get licensed here. I know far more foreign docs in the US than american docs in private practice overseas.

There are tons of hoops to jump through either way. Aside from most locales requiring you to speak the language, some places also require citizenship. All sorts of bs things start to pop up.

I'm not sure it'd be easier or american docs to get licensed over there than them to get licensed here. I know far more foreign docs in the US than american docs in private practice overseas.

There are tons of hoops to jump through either way. Aside from most locales requiring you to speak the language, some places also require citizenship. All sorts of bs things start to pop up.

Because theres more money o be made here than most other countries with the exception of a few. Thats why most of the foreign docs here seem to be from developing countries.
A lot of them come here and spend years driving cabs and doing manual labor while figuring out our system of boards. Very few of them come here and start practicing right away. The ones that do often opt to do residency all over again here just to make the the transition.
Just talk to those foreign docs you know and they'll tell you.

I am the unusual case of a US citizen who wants to practice in South America. I'm afraid the foreign trained docs here don't have a clue about the practice rights for US docs in their home countries...I think the rules tough though.

Most South American countries, like Brazil, don't want docs who graduated from the vast majority of Caribbean medical schools.

Brazil honors a medical degree from a county with which it has a cultural agreement. I need to find out which countries have the cultural agreement.

Anybody know?

You could possibly jump part of the hoop if you agree to do an internship year there which is the 5th year of med school in Mexico. If you were to b a doctor looking to practice in Mexico, that would probably be one of the main hurdles to work in Mexico as a foreign MD.

It would probably make sense Brazil is referring to other Latin American countries in the culutral agreement. Any websites of the reqs to see if I can read them over for you? I don't speak portuguese, but I can understand written portuguese decently.

I do hope you don't have huge med school debts though as a Latin American doctor salary can't pay 200,000 US easily.

Actually a brazilian doctor's salary would be between 10 to 70 thousand reais a day which is around 70-490 thousand reais a week so if we count our crisis problems, it would still be 280.ooo-1.960.000 a month so it divided by 4 (reais to dollar approximately), the month salary turns to week salary again (up there), but it is pretty easy to earn the 200 t dollar you wanted there... P.s.: the usual amount of money earned by a part-time job to a doctor called "plantão" is 10 thousand that's why I put a range from 10 thousand to 70 thousand (full time [25-45 thousand] + appointments).

Hello everybody.

I'm a pediatric surgeon. I live in Brazil and was graduated here. I don't know details about degree revalidation; however, if I could help you with any questions, it will bea pleasure