Practice Test Amounts - Enough Time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PullMyFinger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did the homestudy EK preparation the last 2 months, and now I just have 1 Chapter of bio left and 2 chapters of Physics...I'm done with everything else...did the 30 minute exams and everything.

As far as full length exams, I've only done one so far, and it was my diagnostic of AAMC 3R...scored a 23. My exam date is on August 22nd and I haven't taken other exams yet, but I'm planning to do AAMC 8, 9, and 10 this weekend and next week.

Is that a fine amount to take before taking the MCAT?

Keep in mind I took the MCAT's last summer and did a bunch of FL's, so I already get the time gist of the whole exam...but really, other than that, is there anything else? Or am I pretty much writing myself a suicide note by only taking 4 AAMC exams before the test date?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've taken the tests before, know that your score will be artificially inflated. I think you should take at least 7 tests, hopefully most of them being tests you haven't seen. This is vital because you are retaking so you need the practice. Lastly, if your practice scores aren't within range, you should strongly consider not taking the test. You do NOT want to have a downward trend on the MCAT or have little improvement.

I took the AAMC exams last year, and to be honest, I completely forgot about all of them. So the exam seemed completely new to me.

Well I'll be taking 8, 9, and 10...and from what I hear, those seem to be the closest thing to the real one. At the same time, I felt like what was the point of me taking full length exams int he middle of me reviewing the material? All it will do is keep your score down because you haven't learned the other stuff. I figured I was better off waiting a little bit toward now before I take AAMC 7 8 9 and the free EK test.

The difference was last time I took Kaplan which I felt was a waste. EK is a lot better, and this time I did all the 30 minute topical exams...so as a whole, compared to last year, I feel like I understand a lot of the material.

I did the homestudy EK preparation the last 2 months, and now I just have 1 Chapter of bio left and 2 chapters of Physics...I'm done with everything else...did the 30 minute exams and everything.

As far as full length exams, I've only done one so far, and it was my diagnostic of AAMC 3R...scored a 23. My exam date is on August 22nd and I haven't taken other exams yet, but I'm planning to do AAMC 8, 9, and 10 this weekend and next week.

Is that a fine amount to take before taking the MCAT?

Keep in mind I took the MCAT's last summer and did a bunch of FL's, so I already get the time gist of the whole exam...but really, other than that, is there anything else? Or am I pretty much writing myself a suicide note by only taking 4 AAMC exams before the test date?

If you look under the "What would you have done differently" (or something to that effect) thread for the MCAT, nearly everyone says they wished they had done some more practice tests. Take what you will from it.