Practice test predictions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docbens

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have already taken the MCAT, how well did your practice test scores correlate to your actual MCAT come test day. I have been getting fairly good practice scores but I am afraid that the one that matters wont be as good. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Do a search. This has been discussed many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times.

But just to make you feel better instantly I'll tell you that my actual score was the same as my highest practice score. And I was very, very happy with it. :)

docbens said:
For those who have already taken the MCAT, how well did your practice test scores correlate to your actual MCAT come test day. I have been getting fairly good practice scores but I am afraid that the one that matters wont be as good. :confused:
If you've taken several practice tests (like half a dozen), you can predict your real score fairly well. Obviously there will be some people who do significantly better or worse than their practice tests predict they will, but most people score about at what their average practice tests were. I actually scored a few points higher on the real test.

The latest AAMC practice tests are supposed to be the best predictors.
But I took 6R, 7, 8 before last April's test. My real score was 9 points lower than my highest score and 6 points lower than the last practice test I took (8).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks I appreciate it. I tried to search but it just brings up an error page. Well I have done all of the Kaplan and 3,4,5 of the AAMC tests so I guess I will just hope for the best.

My highest practice score was 36? I think?
11-13-12

My lowest practice score was 27, 9-9-9.

My actual was 10-11-10. Probably could have done better on the bio, but I changed SIX answers from right to wrong at the last second.
Sucked.

My final Kaplan test was 10-12-11, if that helps.

TAKE AS MANY PRACTICE TESTS AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN!!!!!!!

On the Kaplan tests I don’t remember specifics but it was usually 30-33 total and on the last three AAMC they were all 33’s.

docbens said:

I've been completely freaked out about the exact same thing. My practice tests were 31 (11P,11V,9B), 33 (9P,13V,11B), and 36 (11P,13V,12B), in that order. I take number 4 tomorrow. The problem- there are still so many facts I haven't memorized. I feel like an idiot whining when everyone else in the class is getting in the 20s, but I really am stressing out. Every time I take a practice test I am convinced that I totally bombed it and did worse, and then I end up doing better. Am I nutty? Any suggestions on how to fix my head?

gujuDoc said:
The last sentence is how everyone feels. Test day you will feel like the test is the hardest yet that you've taken but generally tend to do well as your practice tests.

Thanks. That makes me feel better (and hopefully it will make me a nicer person to be around while waiting for my score).

scpostbacc said:
Thanks. That makes me feel better (and hopefully it will make me a nicer person to be around while waiting for my score).

Guju is right. Thought I scored a 7 in PS and came away with a 10. the other 2 sections I was comfortable with in practice exams and also on the real deal.

I slowly trended upwards in practice AAMC exams and scored +1 point higher than any practice BS section and matched my top scores in PS and verbal.

gujuDoc said:
Waiting for scores is worse then waiting to take the test. The stress just gets worse, but then better and then worse with applications and then better and then ends when you get your first acceptance unless you get multiple acceptances at which stage you have different kinds of dilemmas. :laugh: :laugh:

and then starts all over again with board scores, residency, and getting a job. Hehee. :laugh:

gujuDoc said:
Waiting for scores is worse then waiting to take the test. The stress just gets worse, but then better and then worse with applications and then better and then ends when you get your first acceptance unless you get multiple acceptances at which stage you have different kinds of dilemmas. :laugh: :laugh:

I know I'm going to be a nervous wreck waiting for my score! That's always the worst part of an exam for me. I spend the time second guessing my answers and just feeling less and less confident about everything.

It's evil that they make us wait 60 days!!

HunterGatherer said:
and then starts all over again with board scores, residency, and getting a job. Hehee. :laugh:
yeah, i can definitely testify to that. :laugh:

fighting0037.gif
USMLE Step 1