Practice Tests and Retaking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRodulous

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I’m in this situation that I am considering retaking the MCAT because I scored a 27M after my second attempt. I’ve posted my info on the “What are my chances” thread and some have said that I stand a decent chance. I want to bump my chances up by scoring 29+ (preferably in the 30-31 range). When preparing for my second MCAT, I noticed my scores were positively skewed because I was redoing some practice tests. Now that I am reconsidering another retake, I feel this may not help me because I go through the test with some background knowledge of the passages. Can anyone recommend some advice to circumvent this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to find some practice tests that you have not taken.

There are AAMC, Kaplans, TPRs, BRs, GS, EK.

Then, I would go over the old tests (especially the AAMCs) and examine the answer choices and questions and work on reasoning through their style.

I have found that even though sometimes I have no real knowledge of what the passage is trying to say I can still get the question right because I can "see" the correct answer. Or at least narrow it down to two.

This ability seems to be what separates some from the high 20's to the low 30's. Then, there are some that just slay the beast easily.

Just keep at it!!

I would try to find some practice tests that you have not taken.

There are AAMC, Kaplans, TPRs, BRs, GS, EK.

Then, I would go over the old tests (especially the AAMCs) and examine the answer choices and questions and work on reasoning through their style.

I have found that even though sometimes I have no real knowledge of what the passage is trying to say I can still get the question right because I can "see" the correct answer. Or at least narrow it down to two.

This ability seems to be what separates some from the high 20's to the low 30's. Then, there are some that just slay the beast easily.

I thought I had that ability too… unfortunately, it didn’t seem to be them case. :laugh:

Anyways, thanks for the response. That’s true that I can check out 3rd party tests. I have done TPR already so that’s out of the question. Maybe I’ll check out Kaplan’s. These costs are seriously starting to rack up….