Practice tests - how many is good, how many is normal...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmcnam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious - I'm registered for July 24th and I've taken two FL's since starting my studying three weeks ago, the Kaplan diagnostic (which doesn't really count) and an FL in January. How many practice tests is good to take before the actual test? I have more than 20 at my disposal, but I don't think I can take them all. Should I do one a week? One every 10 days?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm curious - I'm registered for July 24th and I've taken two FL's since starting my studying three weeks ago, the Kaplan diagnostic (which doesn't really count) and an FL in January. How many practice tests is good to take before the actual test? I have more than 20 at my disposal, but I don't think I can take them all. Should I do one a week? One every 10 days?

Well, ideally as many as you can without tiring yourself out. Give yourself about a week to rest up before the actual test. Other than that, one to two full-lengths a week under realistic conditions is probably a good starting point. If you have the energy and the time, you can do more. Feel out the optimal amount. It's very good practice. However, don't fly blind; make sure you analyze your performance after you take them to see where you need to improve; diagnose your problems, and then take the necessary steps to fix your issues and to make improvements.

Hi all,

Regardless of what you decide to do with the Kaplan practice tests, I think you should try to do all of the AAMC practice MCATs. Or, if you find you're getting burnt out, at least make certain to do AAMC CBT 8, 9 and 10 since they're supposed to be most like the real thing. And I think CBT 6 and 7 would be good to do as well...

Regardless of what you decide to do with the Kaplan practice tests, I think you should try to do all of the AAMC practice MCATs. Or, if you find you're getting burnt out, at least make certain to do AAMC CBT 8, 9 and 10 since they're supposed to be most like the real thing. And I think CBT 6 and 7 would be good to do as well...

I agree with both posters. I tried to cram a full length every other day and I burned out pretty quick. You'll find that you won't put in the effort and thus your scores will go down, bringing your confidence down as well.

I found that 2 full length's a week are a good amount. Also about kaplan FL's, I found these to not be representivie of the AAMC tests because they simply test for content. The AAMC tests more for application of material iand extracting info from the passages.

I would do kaplan FL's if you feel like you still need to go over content stuff but once you have that down I would say AAMC all the way. I don't think that you need to do 20 FL's but I have done kaplan 1-4 and will have done AAMC 3,6-10 by the time I take the test. Just take enough so that come test day you are confident in your skills. For some people this is 2 tests but for others it is 15. You will figure it out.

Good luck

I did one a week for the last couple months, one every few weeks before then. I think it was 14 total.

I recommend doing as many AAMC tests as possible.

Good luck!