Practice Verbal vs. Real MCAT Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoyyy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a retaker and I completely understand that some passages on the real MCAT are DEFINITELY LONGER than most of the passages in the current AAMC practice exams and EK101. I am trying to train myself now at roughly 7.5 minutes per passage, gradually less. Although, I wanted to ask since I am a person that tends to panic if a passage and corresponding questions take longer than I want them to (even for PS or BS), what do you suggest I do for those particular passages that are unusually longer than most and take longer? How should I react accordingly? Looking over this post, it may sound like a simple question but I wanted to see if anyone had strong advice? :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a retaker and I completely understand that some passages on the real MCAT are DEFINITELY LONGER than most of the passages in the current AAMC practice exams and EK101. I am trying to train myself now at roughly 7.5 minutes per passage, gradually less. Although, I wanted to ask since I am a person that tends to panic if a passage and corresponding questions take longer than I want them to (even for PS or BS), what do you suggest I do for those particular passages that are unusually longer than most and take longer? How should I react accordingly? Looking over this post, it may sound like a simple question but I wanted to see if anyone had strong advice? :)

If you can do every single passage in 7.5mins or less, you'll be fine. It takes me 7.5mins to do passages with 5 questions and 10.5 mins to do ones with 7 questions.

AAMC passages aren't necessarily longer, but they are denser and divided into many more paragraphs. Although AAMC questions tend to be a little more straightforward than EK, the passages, however, are harder to read and the topics are much less interesting.

Give the passage a quick glance to see how long it is. If it is a longer one, save it for last. Any leftover time can be used on the longer passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can do every single passage in 7.5mins or less, you'll be fine. It takes me 7.5mins to do passages with 5 questions and 10.5 mins to do ones with 7 questions.

AAMC passages aren't necessarily longer, but they are denser and divided into many more paragraphs. Although AAMC questions tend to be a little more straightforward than EK, the passages, however, are harder to read and the topics are much less interesting.

So basically, do you glance at it quickly to see if it's a 6-7 question passage, then give yourself roughly 10 minutes from your current time? Also, another quick question, I forget, what is the range of amount of questions a particular passage can ask on the current exam? I think I've seen 3 questions for 1 passage before, I may be mistaken.

so basically, do you glance at it quickly to see if it's a 6-7 question passage, then give yourself roughly 10 minutes from your current time? Also, another quick question, i forget, what is the range of amount of questions a particular passage can ask on the current exam? I think i've seen 3 questions for 1 passage before, i may be mistaken.

5-7...

So basically, do you glance at it quickly to see if it's a 6-7 question passage, then give yourself roughly 10 minutes from your current time? Also, another quick question, I forget, what is the range of amount of questions a particular passage can ask on the current exam? I think I've seen 3 questions for 1 passage before, I may be mistaken.

according to TPR, each passage should take you no longer than nx1.5mins (n = number of qs).

So, a 5-question passage should not exceed 7.5 mins, 9 mins and 10.5 mins for the 6-question passage and the 7-question passage, respectively.

There's 40 questions to answer in 60 minutes. That leaves you about 1.5 minutes per question. So practice with that guideline. Unlike the PS and BS sections, going back to re-check your answers in the VR section is a bad idea.

There's 40 questions to answer in 60 minutes. That leaves you about 1.5 minutes per question. So practice with that guideline. Unlike the PS and BS sections, going back to re-check your answers in the VR section is a bad idea.

1.5 min per question?
So you dont spend even a second on reading the passages at all? :laugh:

def glance at the passages and if they intimidate you either because of content or because of length skip it and save it for the end. you want to get through all the easy passages and stand alone questions because those are the ones youre faster at and you got to try and get those all right.
Then move on to the scary stuff this way youll have more time and after doing all the easy stuff you will have also built up your confidence.

best thing to do is practice, get your hands on a ton of practice section tests and passages and do them all

but dont you waste time clicking back and forth, and judging between passages, maybe even open the opportunity of leaving some questions blank?

according to TPR, each passage should take you no longer than nx1.5mins (n = number of qs).

So, a 5-question passage should not exceed 7.5 mins, 9 mins and 10.5 mins for the 6-question passage and the 7-question passage, respectively.

And I'm assuming how long it takes for reading through passage just varies, then spend the rest of the time for the questions? For example in a 5 question passage, if it takes 3 minutes for the passage, use about 4.5 minutes for the questions?

And I'm assuming how long it takes for reading through passage just varies, then spend the rest of the time for the questions? For example in a 5 question passage, if it takes 3 minutes for the passage, use about 4.5 minutes for the questions?

Yes, but for me, it's more like 4-4.5mins reading the passage and the rest of the time for doing the questions. If you can read the entire passage in less than 3 minutes, that's great. The less the time you spend on the passage the more time you'll have to do the questions. However, I'm a very slow reader, and if I try to read fast, my eyes get ahead of my brain and I lose focus. So I take my time to read the passage so I could at least grasp the main idea and author's prospective on the topic, because from what I've noticed, these two are the key to solving at least 50% of the questions.

but dont you waste time clicking back and forth, and judging between passages, maybe even open the opportunity of leaving some questions blank?

Let's clear this up.

I am not saying go through every passage first. What I mean is you do the test normally, but just check the passage as you do the test. If it is long, skip. If you do poorly on that material, skip. That whole check should only take 3 seconds. The next passage is likely not the same material or length, so you do it. At the end, come back to the passage you skipped. Any leftover time can be used on it.

I saved my hardest passage for last when I took and I got to read the passage twice, make an outline and then find every answer in the text. I wouldn't have done that if I used the normal amount of time. Re-reading when you come back doesn't have the same affect as an immediate re-read. I credit this with getting me a 10 on the real thing.