Practice visit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yo GabbaPentin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a CA3 with a pain fellowship next year, I have been invited to visit a practice in one of my desirable locations next month for two days. The practice has told me that they will be hiring someone around when I finish fellowship. Do I treat this "visit" as an official interview? Or is it common to have informal visits? Is there anything that is inappropriate to bring up at this first two day visit? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As a CA3 with a pain fellowship next year, I have been invited to visit a practice in one of my desirable locations next month for two days. The practice has told me that they will be hiring someone around when I finish fellowship. Do I treat this "visit" as an official interview? Or is it common to have informal visits? Is there anything that is inappropriate to bring up at this first two day visit? Thanks.
never heard of this....

things change.

questionable as to whether theywill committ....also how willing are you to commit? Things change in 1 year my friend....

This is how my practice interviews.

My 0.02
-it certainly is a real interview, the idea here is for them to see you in a less formal setting and vice versa
-are they paying your expenses?
-dont ask about salary on the first date
-ask about opioid policies/practices, or don't, and regret it later

Members don't see this ad :)
This is how my practice interviews.

My 0.02
-it certainly is a real interview, the idea here is for them to see you in a less formal setting and vice versa
-are they paying your expenses?
-dont ask about salary on the first date
-ask about opioid policies/practices, or don't, and regret it later

Thanks. They actually invited me to "visit their practice." So I still don't fully understand if it is informal or formal. Do I wear a suit or just shirt and tie? They are not paying for my expenses but invited me for 1-2 days in April. At your practice, is this enough of an "interview" for you? Do you typically offer a contract after this type of visit? Thanks again for your responses.

well first off, i had the same interests as u. I thought i knew where i wanted to end up, had offers to interview, etc..

consider doing ur fellowship a few months so u knokw how a practice in pain works, and what is good and bad about it. if u sign now, u may have ZERO input into ur practice which may or may not be a good thing.

also, i learned this a long time ago: You can be underdressed, but you can never be overdressed. I interviewed at a place a few months ago and they told me "it's casual, etc" and we went and had drinks, .. but at the formal interview I wore a suit anyways. and they thanked me for "treating this as a business situation" even though I was told I could wear whatever and swap into scrubs.. for what it's worth

Always remember this: "Perception is Reality"

If you show up like a schmuck and ask dumb questions... you will never hear from them again.

If you show up dressed like an interview, ask appropriate questions and don't sound like a goof-ball, they will remain interested.

Any contact is an "interview" whether called one or not. Wear a suit. If you end up feeling overdressed, you take the coat off. It's WAY too early to sign for July 2012 in my opinion. In fact, any group that hot to sign someone 1 1/2 years out would make me wonder...why are they in such a hurry? It's definitely not too early to start testing the waters, but sign a contract already? It seems really early to ink anything to me.

It is an interview, period. Agree with input to dress well. Are you flying/hotel/etc.? I personally would not spend that kind of money on an interview (or any interview, standard is the employer pays, if they don't want to pay, red flag number one)

I disagree that this is too early. If you love the practice, the money is good, etc. go ahead and sign WITH a non-refundable sign on bonus, that way if they jerk you around you are compensated for the hassle.

But, they will not expect you to sign a contract at the first date

Have fun

Thanks to everyone for the replies. A little more background info. I have a family and we are limited to two locations, both of which are relatively small (pop <75000) with limited job opportunities. This location is at the top of my list and will be for years. There is no doubt about that. Yes it is early, but I figured that I would try to get my foot in the door early. I'd rather be too early than too late. From my conversations with the group owner, it sounds pretty good so far. No they are not paying but I am staying with friends so it will really not be very expensive for me. Cost was never brought up and I wasn't about to ask them to pay for anything.

I was definitely planning on wearing a suit. Just wanted to make sure that was the norm and I wouldn't look like a complete bozo doing so for the visit.

Regarding things not to do, here is what I have gathered so far:

-don't ask about salary, vacation at this point
-don't have a personality disorder

Questions to ask:

-how busy are you?
-what procedures are you doing?
-what is your policy on opioid prescription writing?
-what do you do for fun?
-have any partners left recently and why?
-what are your plans for growth/expansion?

Any advice on what to ask or NOT ask would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all of the input.

The key is being confident but not arrogant. And respectful without ass-kissing. I would wear a suit in this situation. They might say, "Oh you didn't have to do that", but it just shows respect and you really just can't go wrong. Otherwise, just be yourself. I doubt they even know what kind of salary they would offer you at this point and it's premature to be asking them. Someone might spontaneously decide to offer up some round numbers.

Might also avoid " So which partner has the hottest wife?".................

at least til 2nd interview

Time is money. If they are willing to stop working to show you around and have lunch with you, they are definitely interested. This is an interview, I agree wear the suit you can ditch the jacket later.

This is a good chance to do some smooch smooch and remind them how much you are really committed to landing in their town. Mention the family ties. Good luck!

There's no such thing as an informal visit. They will be watching and judging you every moment.

Also when you go to dinner, nurse your drinks. Let them loosen their tongues and reveal more than they should.