Practicing after Med school in underserved area which is also your mother land

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroChaos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, some what wired question. I will try to keep it concise.

I plan to serve in my home country after I graduate from Med school and after going through the whole res..licensure etc etc etc. I gained my motivation for medicine from living in this area i.e. i grew up there. so that's my mother land. I am now in U.S.

If I make my motivations clear to med school (in interviews, if the ques comes up and it probably will, given my backgrd), that I would like to go back to my home country to provide medical care in those neglected areas, Would med school consider it taking advantage of U.S med schools to go work in your own country?Yes there are med school in that country, but not enough. I will be working in the neglected and medically underserved areas where I grew up. I feel especially motivated becuase it is in a region that most people would not think of as medically underserved. I personally have experienced the problems that these people go through so I have strong reasons to serve there.

so the question again:
Would med schools consider it taking advantage of U.S med schools to go work in your own country?

opinions???

Members don't see this ad.

likely permanently, but if not permanently, for an extended period of time 10-15 yrs. Long enough to be able to start programs for future medical progress with in those areas...so that will be 10-15 yrs or possibly longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you just have to tact in how you present your passion. In college I did alot of overseas mission work in Africa and I expressed my desire in my personal statement to continue doing work like that as a physician. It would never good to make the statement that you simply want to take your American schooling for the purpose of going back to your country. But you need to be honest about your passions too. So I would certainly talk about the medical disparities that you saw in your country and how that drove you to seek medical training so that you could help.This is an important component of your personal story, but I would never mention the word "permenant". That word is not necessary to the overall outcome of truly making a difference. It might also be good go mention any health disparities work that you are doing here in the States.

I think that you just have to tact in how you present your passion. In college I did alot of overseas mission work in Africa and I expressed my desire in my personal statement to continue doing work like that as a physician. It would never good to make the statement that you simply want to take your American schooling for the purpose of going back to your country. But you need to be honest about your passions too. So I would certainly talk about the medical disparities that you saw in your country and how that drove you to seek medical training so that you could help.This is an important component of your personal story, but I would never mention the word "permanent". That word is not necessary to the overall outcome of truly making a difference. It might also be good go mention any health disparities work that you are doing here in the States.

Thats key. Dont mention that word. Just explain your passion for your motherland and how you wld like to make an impact there and yada yada whatever ur dream is, but i wld not explicitly tell them that u plan on going back there ASAP. Thats just askin for some.

There's always international health.

I know a guy who goes to Ecuador every February; and a bunch of people who have done Save the Children in Darfur.

so the question again:
Would med schools consider it taking advantage of U.S med schools to go work in your own country?

opinions???

i think some public medical schools will care. in your personal statement just say that you want to expand your duties as a physician to include international health, etc.

thanks for the input everyone!
I really like the idea of international health. I will definitely look into it. Increasing awareness among individuals for the areas that I am familiar with is a great point to start