Practicing Dentists, do you think it's acceptable/realistic to work on your own car?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask this because tinkering with old cars is a planned hobby of mine. Would it be feasible for a dentist to get "nitty gritty" with a dexterous hobby like this? I think of the grease and oil getting under the nails and how patients would perceive it. Additionally, I don't know if the body would let you do this type of physical work in addition to dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh yeah! I can’t speak for other dentists, but I think that’s a great hobby! I would love to get into that someday. As long as you maintain a good posture while working as a dentist, you should be fine. Just keep your finger nails clean. Do what makes you happy and what you enjoy, life is too short.

Reactions: 1 user
Only thing I would be truly worried about is disability. But if you're careful and enjoy it, why not?

*Disclaimer: Not a practicing dentist (student).

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a pretty ridiculous question. Of course you could do this.
I was thinking that it might be too risky, like if you drop a transmission on your hand or something. Also the grease and oil, but gloves should take care of it.

I was thinking that it might be too risky, like if you drop a transmission on your hand or something. Also the grease and oil, but gloves should take care of it.
You have to be careless to suffer a major injury as a hobbyist.

Why is this even a question????
I have been a shade tree mechanic for my whole career. My only problem has been getting the grease out from under my fingernails after a ready good dirty job.

I would contend that skill set that makes for a good automotive mechanic is NOT unlike the skill set for a good dentist.

I would contend that skill set that makes for a good automotive mechanic is NOT unlike the skill set for a good dentist
Glad to know that I can put this down on my application :)

Only issue would be greasy fingernails. For years I have kept a box or two of dental gloves in the garage - problem solved.

Much more relaxing than working on teeth, I might add.

Yes, work on your car for fun. You're a professional. Professional mechanics, like us, know to use gloves. That keeps the oil from under your fingernails. Eventually, you will make enough money that you will buy a brand new car and there won't be anything to fix. You'll probably buy an extended warranty and do even less work like me. I miss doing the oil changes and such but if it's paid for already, I can't resist just letting them do it.

I don't work on cars. I can barely stand to wash them.
It saddens me to hear that :( ; Though then again there's no way for an amateur mechanic to work on the exotic cars you speak of.
Yes, work on your car for fun. You're a professional. Professional mechanics, like us, know to use gloves. That keeps the oil from under your fingernails. Eventually, you will make enough money that you will buy a brand new car and there won't be anything to fix. You'll probably buy an extended warranty and do even less work like me. I miss doing the oil changes and such but if it's paid for already, I can't resist just letting them do it.
Oh no no no. New cars are half-computer now. There's nothing much an amateur can do without incredibly expensive dealer-level computers from a diagnostic level. I'm interested in a niche area of cars anywhere between the the 1950s and early 2000s. Fewer and fewer modern mechanics know how to rebuild old engines and transmissions properly as an example. I don't trust people to work on such "antiques" anyway.

It comes down to TIME. I don't have enough of that precious commodity.........yet. I'm working on correcting this. :)
If you work 6 days a week .... the last thing I'm going to do is work on my car (s) on my one day off. The same goes for washing cars. The only time my A7 gets washed is when it goes to the dealer for service LOL. I'd rather go for a nice long walk with my dog Buddy.

If you have time and working on cars is your passion. That's different. God knows I'm a certified car junkie.
My father was a car re-builder and mechanic. I worked on cars when I was younger. Sanded. Masked. Have absolutely no interest in it now. I'll leave it to the professional mechanics.