Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi guys,

I cant seem to find concrete info in regards to this information. I heard from a friend (unreliable source) that by completing a 'Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science & Graduate Diploma of Dentistry' at Griffith university, I would be able to come back to Canada and write the boards and successfully practice. Does anyone know how true this is? I cant find the equivalency of what a BDS is equal to in Canada. As well, I'm not sure what the Graduate Diploma of Dentistry is equal to either.

Any advice or response would be greatly appreciated. I'm a canadian application btw, so I would most likely be returning to Canada after the 5yr program (3BDS + 2 graduate diploma of dentistry).

I have also sent an e-mail off to an admission advisor over there and will update with the response when I receive it.

zammyd

2+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
bump

Oct 14, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Oct 14, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
This forum is hardly a reliable source.
Check the primary website http://www.ndeb.ca
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any Canadians who is a dentistry graduate from Australian schools( 5 yr programs), and went back to Canada and practiced there?
Curious to know how the Canada job market situation is for a dentistry graduate from Australia? and how important was it from which university they got their degree ?

Many thanks!

Jul 11, 2016
Hello

I know 3 people personal friends who went to u of Toronto then a dental school in Sydney. Two of them decided to stay in Sydney but one came back and worked as an associate for a couple of years. Then she opened her practice. You don't need to do any extra residency anything like that to practice in Canada. I believe you can even try to transfer to Canadian school if they let you. I believe it doesn't matter where you went to school. I had an interview with the same Australian school. The interview was in Alberta back then and I saw students from different schools in different states.

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello

I know 3 people personal friends who went to u of Toronto then a dental school in Sydney. Two of them decided to stay in Sydney but one came back and worked as an associate for a couple of years. Then she opened her practice. You don't need to do any extra residency anything like that to practice in Canada. I believe you can even try to transfer to Canadian school if they let you. I believe it doesn't matter where you went to school. I had an interview with the same Australian school. The interview was in Alberta back then and I saw students from different schools in different states.
You're correct, but the poster is asking for a "Bachelors of Oral Health... etc".

You can only come back if you have completed a DDS or DMD in Australia.

You're correct, but the poster is asking for a "Bachelors of Oral Health... etc".

You can only come back if you have completed a DDS or DMD in Australia.
Incorrect.
You can come back with a BDS as well. The bachelor level Dental programs in Australia are also part of the reciprocity agreement.

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Incorrect.
You can come back with a BDS as well. The bachelor level Dental programs in Australia are also part of the reciprocity agreement.
You would need to re-enter dental school in Canada, you cannot go practice with a BDS.

You would need to re-enter dental school in Canada, you cannot go practice with a BDS.
No, you don't.
ALL ADC (Australian Dental Council) accredited Dental schools (doctoral or bachelor level) are accredited and part of the reciprocity agreement. An Australian BDS holder can practice the same way an Australian DDS/DMD grad can. Same goes for the BDS graduates from Ireland.
Please do your research before posting. It's wrong to post incorrect info not once but twice. Just because something sounds right to you, doesn't mean it's right.

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
No, you don't.
ALL ADC (Australian Dental Council) accredited Dental schools (doctoral or bachelor level) are accredited and part of the reciprocity agreement. An Australian BDS holder can practice the same way an Australian DDS/DMD grad can. Same goes for the BDS graduates from Ireland.
Please do your research before posting. It's wrong to post incorrect info not once but twice. Just because something sounds right to you, doesn't mean it's right.
Okay sorry, my fault. I was thinking along the lines of the Bachelors of Dentistry in Europe (except for Ireland) and extrapolated that to Australia. It seems it is quite a bit different.

Reactions: Toothachee101