Practicing in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VC15

MS4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If Canadian who both attended med school and went through residency in Canada wanted to practice in the US, how would that be done (i.e. what do you apply to, etc.)? Would you need to write the USMLE, do another residency in the States, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Go on the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates web. <a href="http://www.ecfmg.org" target="_blank">www.ecfmg.org</a> and request the Informational Booklet and Application for USMLE step 1, thats the basic medical science exam you will need to take first, Then the Toefl English exam, then Step 2, and Step 3(depending on your visa status) and the final test is the Clinical Assessement Skills, and if you have graduated from medicine school you will need to submit copies of that diploma and then you will be certified. If you are a medical student now you need to apply for some clinical rotations in the US if you plan on applying for post-graduate training as you will need 3/4 Letters of Recommendation for your application. Check the exchange problem at Harvard and apply there, they are receptive if you have a decent record. Then you will need to make application thru the Electronic Residency Application Service,ERAS for residencies in the US. All of this takes 1 or 2 years depending on your beginning status and cost around $2500 to 3000,plus around $500 to 2100 for ERAS procedure including any traveling you will need to do. Be sure and do some research as to what hospitals are friendly to International Medical Graduates(IMGs') before you apply to programs to save yourself some money and disappointment. Also be sure you do well in all of these tests, ESPECIALLY Step 1(at least 85 or above,perferably in the 90's)and in Step 2. ERAS web site is <a href="http://www.eras.com." target="_blank">www.eras.com.</a> Happy trails to you. Let me know if this helps.

Much of the information above is incorrect. Canadian med school graduates are not considered FMG's because Canadian med schools are accredited by the LCME like US schools. In terms of licensure, if you have your LMCC's, 37 states will issue you a medical license by endorsement. The other 13 states require that you have completed the USMLE's. The only other catch is that to get a US visa to work in the US as a physician, you must have passed your USMLE's (I think that this can be bypassed if you are married to an American).

If you have done your residency in Canada and have your Royal College Fellowship, you are eligible to sit for the American Board Exams. This is because the Royal College requirements are usually more stringent than their American counterparts (ie. Emergency med is 5 years in Canada and only 3-4 years in the US) and are recognized as such by the ACGME. Thus, Canadian residency graduates are eligible to be Board certified in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! I learned a lot. Tons of variables. Different rules for different folks. Thanks.

Actually, there are two separate issues.
1. Licensure (see the information already posted)
and
2. Eligability to work in the U.S.

Eligability is determined by VISA status
(i.e. a J-1 visa, an H-1b, etc.)
While licensure of Canadian medical graduates is much easier in the U.S. than for most other IMGs,
the immigration/visa issues can still be fairly complex.

Also, I have read too many horror stories of people being used and manipulated by the agencies granting J-1 waivers, etc.

I recommend doing your research carefully, and possibly contacting a physician placement agency with extensive experience in J-1 and H-1b placement.

I am a US resident and if I go to a Canadian Med school then can I apply for residency in US or do I have to complete it in Canada ?. Also which 13 states requires the usmle's .. where is this listed ?.. Thanks so much.

korn

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kornphan:
•I am a US resident and if I go to a Canadian Med school then can I apply for residency in US or do I have to complete it in Canada ?. Also which 13 states requires the usmle's .. where is this listed ?.. Thanks so much.

korn•••••If you are a US citizen, you can apply to the US for residency. I can't remember if you can complete it in Canada.

I think that the AAMC puts out a little pamphlet that states the licensure requirements of various states (including which require the USMLE).

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kornphan:
•I am a US resident and if I go to a Canadian Med school then can I apply for residency in US or do I have to complete it in Canada ?. Also which 13 states requires the usmle's .. where is this listed ?.. Thanks so much.

korn•••••korn - anyone is eligible to apply for US medical residency; there are no limits on your citizenship or place of medical education. You are not required to train in Canada and likely wouldn't even be allowed to even if you wanted to.

ALL US states require all 3 steps of the USMLE to become licensed and practice medicine in the US. Should you desire to obtain a US residency you will most likely have to complete both USMLE Steps 1 and 2 before the beginning of residency.

Hope this helps.

Thank You all, this helps a lot. I am a Canadian Citizen and a permenant resident os US, so I think I can apply for residency in Canada .. if that's the case then what ?.. after the residency can I coms to US and practice ?.. or have to take the USMLE's before I can ?.. Thanks

korn