Practicing med onc in Canada vs US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carrot0123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm an IMG med student from Canada graduating 2024(one of the better img schools). Looking to go into med onc in Canada or heme/onc if US. Was wondering if anyone who knows both systems which would be better for a career in Oncology. I would want to live in Boston or somewhere northeast if I went to US. I would just like to enjoy my career and have a good place to raise a family etc.

I guess the important things are:
1. How hard is it to get a green card from my partner (also img but Cad and US passports and graduating 2023) and immigrate to US? Does getting a J1 first ruin my chances because I would have to leave? What would be the timeline (like get married before I apply to residency or is it fine to get it after?)
Also is it really hard to end up in the same place if no couples match? partner wants FM most likely and then I would try and follow them with internal residency.

2. Which has better training
3. Salary
4. Legal worries when practicing
5. Job and research opportunities
6. Being able to open a practice if I get sick of academics
7. If my partner did FM in the US (they are American born, I'm not) would it be rougher than just doing it in Canada?
8.Paper work
9. any other comments appreciated

Also wondering if internal med residencies care if you only did research in oncology and not general internal med research? I would do a few internal med focussed projects if that was the case.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I'm an IMG med student from Canada graduating 2024(one of the better img schools). Looking to go into med onc in Canada or heme/onc if US. Was wondering if anyone who knows both systems which would be better for a career in Oncology. I would want to live in Boston or somewhere northeast if I went to US. I would just like to enjoy my career and have a good place to raise a family etc.

I guess the important things are:
1. How hard is it to get a green card from my partner (also img but Cad and US passports and graduating 2023) and immigrate to US? Does getting a J1 first ruin my chances because I would have to leave? What would be the timeline (like get married before I apply to residency or is it fine to get it after?)
Also is it really hard to end up in the same place if no couples match? partner wants FM most likely and then I would try and follow them with internal residency.
I don't know and there are roughly 10 hojillion threads on SDN that will help you answer this question.
2. Which has better training
Overall roughly equal.
3. Salary
Probably a little better in the US. But I haven't looked for a job in Canada.
4. Legal worries when practicing
Definitely better in Canada. But honestly, this isn't even in the top 100 things I worry about on a daily basis.
5. Job and research opportunities
Probably better in the US.
6. Being able to open a practice if I get sick of academics
As an IMG, Canadian or not, your chances of getting a true academic job in the US is pretty small unless you're a research superstar. Once you wind up with stable residency status, complete your training, and get a license, there's nothing limiting your practice environment in the US other than you.
7. If my partner did FM in the US (they are American born, I'm not) would it be rougher than just doing it in Canada?
Rougher for who doing what? Rougher to become an FP? Not sure I understand the question.
8.Paper work
Is everywhere. If you mean documentation, that's actually getting better in the US lately with changes in documentation requirements. If you mean "work notes" and crap like that, I just sign forms, I've got people to actually fill them out.
9. any other comments appreciated

Also wondering if internal med residencies care if you only did research in oncology and not general internal med research? I would do a few internal med focussed projects if that was the case.
Research is research. Especially for IM.

I don't know and there are roughly 10 hojillion threads on SDN that will help you answer this question.

Overall roughly equal.

Probably a little better in the US. But I haven't looked for a job in Canada.

Definitely better in Canada. But honestly, this isn't even in the top 100 things I worry about on a daily basis.

Probably better in the US.

As an IMG, Canadian or not, your chances of getting a true academic job in the US is pretty small unless you're a research superstar. Once you wind up with stable residency status, complete your training, and get a license, there's nothing limiting your practice environment in the US other than you.

Rougher for who doing what? Rougher to become an FP? Not sure I understand the question.

Is everywhere. If you mean documentation, that's actually getting better in the US lately with changes in documentation requirements. If you mean "work notes" and crap like that, I just sign forms, I've got people to actually fill them out.

Research is research. Especially for IM.
Thank you this helps a lot. For the practicing family medicine I have just heard its a little easier to run a practice in Canada bc less overhead costs but who knows. I will try to find more info in immigration ig I might need a lawyer eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)

Reactions: 1 user

1. The word is remuneration, so not sure how much I'd trust that site.
2. Remember that compensation is in Beaver Bucks so adjust accordingly.

1. The word is remuneration, so not sure how much I'd trust that site.
2. Remember that compensation is in Beaver Bucks so adjust accordingly.
I think you can get around 400-550k cad in my area but taxes are a bitch if you just work at the hospital vs own a business. I assume that it's quite a bit less than the US

Focus on getting into an IM residency first. By 2024 the match is probably going to be even harder. One step at a time.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you can get around 400-550k cad in my area but taxes are a bitch if you just work at the hospital vs own a business. I assume that it's quite a bit less than the US
Is your area Saskatoon? Or Toronto?

Because $500K 'Murica dollars is easy to get as an oncologist in lots of places like Saskatoon, not so much (but not impossible) in places like TO.

Is your area Saskatoon? Or Toronto?

Because $500K 'Murica dollars is easy to get as an oncologist in lots of places like Saskatoon, not so much (but not impossible) in places like TO.
Not gonna dox but metropolitan
Focus on getting into an IM residency first. By 2024 the match is probably going to be even harder. One step at a time.
Yeah I am getting ahead of myself. Need to find out how to get green card before match or I can kiss a decent spot goodbye

Pro Tip...nobody cares who, or where you are.

Taking taxes and exchange rate into account, if all you care about is the Benjamins (or Loonies), then the US probably sneaks out a win. Maybe.
Ok you were spot on then lol. Money isn't really the most important thing to me anyways (probably job availability / security would rank higher now that I think about it) so I guess I should just go where I think I'll enjoy living more. I just have this idea that American docs have more freedom with how they get to practice and just their lives in general but I see a lot of the docs in Canada are happy too because they have a few less headaches in other areas of practice, probably a grass is always greener situation.

Suppose I can just focus on being the best med student I can as of now and let that do the talking.