Practicing medicine in Japan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about ways for an American to practice medicine in Japan with an American medical degree? In the future, I think it would be nice to spend a year or two living in Japan. What is the best way to do this (the job doesn't have to be seeing patients per se, just be medically related). I don't speak fluent Japanese yet....

Thanks! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

dunno about the full year thing, but during your clinical years of med school, you can do rotations abroad. if your school doesn't have a formal program, you can ask and arrange it if you are motivated enough.

just watch out... i hear the japanese are brutal on their clinical trainees. a friend of mine who is japanese did a neurosurg residency in tokyo. he had to take out a loan to afford an apartment in that city... then he slept their 3 nights a month or so. expensive storage space :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by IrishOarsman
he slept their 3 nights a month or so. expensive storage space :)

Dude, that's bulls**t. In any case, neurosurgery's gonna be tough anywhere in the world.

Anyways, to the OP, here's what I know about Japanese medicine. Under the current guideline, it will be almost impossible for a foreigner with limited Japanese skills who graduated from a foreign med school. The process is pretty arduous. First, you have to pass the japanese fluency exam. Then, you have to apply for the licensure exam. The problem is, they don't give out applications to just anyone. You have to have convincing reasons and they have to approve. Then, you have to pass the licensure exam, which is the biggest hurdle. Finally, if you want to be board-certified (and you almost certainly want to be, unless you have relatives over there who can hook you up with his/her practice), you have to do residency over there, too. I'm pretty sure all of this has already talked you out of any idea of trying to practice over there.

There is actually a push to pass a legislation that allows foreign doctors to practice in Japan without Japanese licensure, as long as they only serve the expat community. But don't count on it coming into fruition anytime soon.

I'm sure there are clinical opportunities available that don't require licensure over there. I know that nursing jobs are open to foreigners in Japan. But exactly what suitable opportunities there are for physicians, I don't know. You'll have to do some research. I'd say get your Japanese proficiency up to a decent level (don't have to be completely fluent) and then try to do an elective rotation over in Japan in the 4th year to hopefully build up some connection.

Liketea, thanks for the info! I actually just returned from a 3 week trip to Japan this morning so I was only able to read this now. I talked to some folks in Japan and it seems extremely tough to actually practice there, but doing a rotation there seems possible. I guess I'll decide once med school starts.

why not go for a research position? It will allow you to spend some time in Japan, improve your CV, and my guess is that most of your colleagues would speak english.

Good luck learning the language. Not only would you need fluency in the spoken part, but you would have to spend equal if not more time studying the written language which is more difficult and easier to forget. (In my opinion)

All good points, but first you'll be in for a culture shock. Compared to America, in Japan there's no sex, no drugs, no wine and no women. In general, there's also not much fun nor sin, either.

I think the most important thing that people neglected to mention is the effect of Japanese culture on your sense of self-identity.

After six months, I'd think you'll be turning Japanese...I really think so.

ttac

Originally posted by ttac
All good points, but first you'll be in for a culture shock. Compared to America, in Japan there's no sex, no drugs, no wine and no women. In general, there's also not much fun nor sin, either.

I think the most important thing that people neglected to mention is the effect of Japanese culture on your sense of self-identity.

After six months, I'd think you'll be turning Japanese...I really think so.

ttac

I would both agree with you and disagree with you. You may find yourself begin to develop tendencies similar to the Japanese in speak mannerisms, etc. However, just the mere fact that you are American maintains your identity no matter where you go.

As for the no sex, no drugs, no wine, and no women. The only thing you are right on may be the no wine, but just replace that with sake. I would say that crime is very low compared to places in the U.S.

Originally posted by Ninjaboy
I would both agree with you and disagree with you. You may find yourself begin to develop tendencies similar to the Japanese in speak mannerisms, etc. However, just the mere fact that you are American maintains your identity no matter where you go.

As for the no sex, no drugs, no wine, and no women. The only thing you are right on may be the no wine, but just replace that with sake. I would say that crime is very low compared to places in the U.S.

Hmm, well, when I was there, the culture was really xenophobic. Nobody really liked foreigners, and one day I caught myself thinking out loud:

"Everyone around me is a total stranger... Everyone avoids me like a cyclone ranger..."

After about a year, I guess I must have picked up their mannerisms or something. I think you're right on there. I started fitting in more, and bowing when I was supposed to (as well as bowing deeply enough). My Japanese became better, and I guess the Japanese went from considering me an awkward "gai-jin" to thinking I was one of their own.

I remember finally realizing that I had fit in, and for some reason, I remember thinking to myself:

"I'm turning Japanese...I think I'm turning Japanese...I really think so."

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
ttac

What were you all doing in Japan? Any ex-JETS out there?