Practicing medicine in Korea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryomagoku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sdn,

I had a chance to speak with UQ ochsner rep via Skype a few weeks ago. I asked her if UQ Ochsner graduates can take the Korean medical license exam as korea recognized UQ traditional program.

I am leanijng toward practicing medicine in Korea especially after knowing my Dad(in korea) is in serious condition.

I was born in korea and speak the language fluently.

But I just want to ask if anyone knows students from UQ or UQ Ochsner program has gone back to their home country and practice medicine there? If so, what will be the process to obtain residency??

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello sdn,

I had a chance to speak with UQ ochsner rep via Skype a few weeks ago. I asked her if UQ Ochsner graduates can take the Korean medical license exam as korea recognized UQ traditional program.

I am leanijng toward practicing medicine in Korea especially after knowing my Dad(in korea) is in serious condition.

I was born in korea and speak the language fluently.

But I just want to ask if anyone knows students from UQ or UQ Ochsner program has gone back to their home country and practice medicine there? If so, what will be the process to obtain residency??

Thanks in advance!
Lots of Americans and Canadians from UQ Ochnser have made it back home.

Lots of Americans and Canadians from UQ Ochnser have made it back home.
I know UQ Ochsner students have been doing well matching residency in America. But I'm asking if students have matched in other countries like Korea. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I know UQ Ochsner students have been doing well matching residency in America. But I'm asking if students have matched in other countries like Korea. :(
Perhaps you can email UQ Ochnser and ask them? Surely they'd have the data.

It's probably not a super common situation. Best bet is to look at whatever the equivalent Korean Medical Board website says - if UQ is an accredited program in Korea, it should be theoretically possible.

You might be better off in the UQ traditional program if you are dead set on going back to Korea rather than UQ-O. It's also a bit cheaper. I would definitely find out if Korea accepts UQ-O grads because theoretically UQ and UQ-O are separate medical schools for accreditation purposes and both may not be accredited in all countries, but I'm no expert. For example, for a while grads of the 4 year UQ traditional program were eligible for residency in New York but not UQ-O grads. This has recently changed now with UQ-O finally getting NY approval this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Jebus.

Talk to a Korean Medical school advisor first, or find a Korean forum.

There's lots of international students that go to primarily English speaking countries after grad - like the US, Canada or Singapore. But I've never heard of anyone taking their English-taught degrees to a non-English speaking country. There's maybe 5-6 Koreans that attend UQ each year and usually they're of Australian, American or Canadian backgrounds who intend to stay in one of those three countries.

Medicine is learning second language to a degree.
by moving to Korea as Korean you would be expected to be fluent in the medical culture and language there.

if it has to be Australia just make sure whatever medical school you do in Australia allows you to do rotations in Korea. And is recognized by Korea - as another poster stated above. With whatever degree you get, if it's not recognized, you won't be allowed to practice.

You could try to search for the UQ (or whichever med school's) facebook group and ask the alum and students in that group. Or see if any Koreans in there will respond.

You should also be talking to Korean residents and doctors in Korea. Things to ask would be like how welcome are foreign degrees there? Do some further research about Korea specifically. Every country of the world has different requirements and circumstances.

Whatever you choose to do in the end, don't do this without at least finding out whatever you can about the path to korea for residency. if this is really what you're leaning towards and is not a whim. There's nothing worse then starting something and finding out much later that it was the wrong decision because of some technicality you missed.