practicing podiatry in Saudi Arabia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Postictal Raiden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a saudi-american pursuing my bs degree in bio. I've always been interested in medicine and was planning to apply to both medical and osteopathic schools. Lately, I've been surfing the web when I can across podiatry. After knowing what its philosophy and its career outlook I become interested in it. However, I need to know the potentials of this field in the middle east and espicially in saudi arabia.

I'd appreciate anyone's input on this issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Salam,

I'm not too sure about podiatry in the middle east. I've actually been pretty interested in this subject myself too because I would like to live in Dubai at one point in my life.

The only thing I can really find is a Podiatric group in Dubai. Sports medicine is going to be a big thing in Dubai now that they're almost done with the city thats entirely dedicated to sports.

http://www.dubaisportscity.ae/

Don't know if that applies to Saudi or any other middle east country, but it would be nice to be one of the pioneers of podiatry in the region. $$$

PM me if you have anymore questions.

I am a saudi-american pursuing my bs degree in bio. I've always been interested in medicine and was planning to apply to both medical and osteopathic schools. Lately, I've been surfing the web when I can across podiatry. After knowing what its philosophy and its career outlook I become interested in it. However, I need to know the potentials of this field in the middle east and espicially in saudi arabia.

Unless you get a miracle, and someone actually practicing in the middle east is on this site, you are out of luck. I suggest trying to do some leg work on the internet and find someone you can contact over the internet practicing in the middle east.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I have to add my two cents to this topic as it is very interesting.

To work in Saudi Arabia or Dubai as a doctor, one needs to be:
MD
DO
or some european designation eg. MBBS.
Can a DPM work there. No. Why? Because of two main reasons, one is that the proper licensing bodies are not in place that recognize DPMs and the scope has never been established, and second the staff by-laws at the hospitals are not in line with such a degree.
Technically you can treat feet, as a DPM chiropodist like the people that are in dubai right now who are from australia and south africa. They do not perform surgery like US trained DPMs.
So can you work there? well yes you could, but not doing what you are trained.
how is the pay? the same as a chiropodist
what would you treat? ingrown nails, biomechanics, orthotics and general nail care.
is it worth 7 years of training? ahhh no I dont think so.
Will it ever change? Well it might, if you write a letter to the King of SA and ask him to change it. But I think he has better things to deal with like oil at $32 per barrel.
Overall recommendation: pick USA, better scope of practice and higher renumeration.
:thumbup:

YES THERE ARE PODIATRISTS IN KINGDOM OF SAUDI ARABIA AND DUBAI AND KUWAIT AND SHARJAH.

There are small number of American, Aussie and british podiatrists in the Saudi Arabia. i personally knew a US educated podiatrist based in dammam. but he is not there anymore (he was there for the tax free income:cool:).

{lets not go to the politics now} but.... Saudi Arabia has parallel system for Westerners in almost every thing.If you watch the movie "KINGDOM" you will get an idea. there are seperate establishments ranging from schools to markets to hospitals which cater American and european citizens in the kingdom. So the hospitals that cater to westerners needs have all american licensed or british professionals from Osteopaths, Podiatric surgeons,physical therapists,occupational therapists,chiropractors,Nurse practioners, Physician assistants,etc. They hire only Board certified/Board qualified physicians, Registered Nurses who have license in atleast one US state, or a radiographer who is registered in ARRT. So even though you are not in US or Europe. But when you are in that hospital. you are getting care from american educated or licensed workers. its pretty much like US. if you have lived in saudi iam sure you know what im talking abt :).

usually there are oppurtunities in cities like Jeddah, Taif, Riyadh, Dammam or the oil rich Khatif (aramco company) where tons of americans and europeans work.

Bottom Line : From what i have researched and what the podiatric surgeon said to me, you can work in Saudi arabia as a podiatric surgeon (good scope, surgery,etc etc stuff), salary is around 10-12k Saudi riyals per month (ofcourse who can ignore the benifitis : no tax, yearly return ticket for entire family for holiday, 1 month vaccation,furnished housing,etc etc).

The catch is, you have to be employed by a US or european healthcare recruiting/placement agency or a western hospital. You cannot just go and open your own clinic and start practicing. thats still a shady area. but i can 100% confirm that i have personally read job ads for podiatrists in saudi arabia. podiatryonline.com (the website is now down for some reason) regularly posts job openings for podiatrists in middle east.

Goodluck!

Last edited:
YES THERE ARE PODIATRISTS IN KINGDOM OF SAUDI ARABIA AND DUBAI AND KUWAIT AND SHARJAH.

There are small number of American, Aussie and british podiatrists in the Saudi Arabia. i personally knew a US educated podiatrist based in dammam. but he is not there anymore (he was there for the tax free income:cool:).

{lets not go to the politics now} but.... Saudi Arabia has parallel system for Westerners in almost every thing.If you watch the movie "KINGDOM" you will get an idea. there are seperate establishments ranging from schools to markets to hospitals which cater American and european citizens in the kingdom. So the hospitals that cater to westerners needs have all american licensed or british professionals from Osteopaths, Podiatric surgeons,physical therapists,occupational therapists,chiropractors,Nurse practioners, Physician assistants,etc. They hire only Board certified/Board qualified physicians, Registered Nurses who have license in atleast one US state, or a radiographer who is registered in ARRT. So even though you are not in US or Europe. But when you are in that hospital. you are getting care from american educated or licensed workers. its pretty much like US. if you have lived in saudi iam sure you know what im talking abt :).

usually there are oppurtunities in cities like Jeddah, Taif, Riyadh, Dammam or the oil rich Khatif (aramco company) where tons of americans and europeans work.

Bottom Line : From what i have researched and what the podiatric surgeon said to me, you can work in Saudi arabia as a podiatric surgeon (good scope, surgery,etc etc stuff), salary is around 10-12k Saudi riyals per month (ofcourse who can ignore the benifitis : no tax, yearly return ticket for entire family for holiday, 1 month vaccation,furnished housing,etc etc).

The catch is, you have to be employed by a US or european healthcare recruiting/placement agency or a western hospital. You cannot just go and open your own clinic and start practicing. thats still a shady area. but i can 100% confirm that i have personally read job ads for podiatrists in saudi arabia. podiatryonline.com (the website is now down for some reason) regularly posts job openings for podiatrists in middle east.

Goodluck!

10-12K riyal/month seems too little. My causin just finished his BS in industrial engineering. He was offered a position with aramco with a salary of 15K riyal per month.

10-12K riyal/month seems too little. My causin just finished his BS in industrial engineering. He was offered a position with aramco with a salary of 15K riyal per month.

naaah! 10-15K is good bro. thats the base or annual stuff. plus you know the ramadan bonus and so many other incentives. Westerners go to middleeast for tax free salary. If you are getting a furnished executive house, roundtrip tickets, month vacation,etc etc why woudnt you take it. loads of respect among peers (a person with western degree is considered weigh higher than eastern degrees in middle east. Classic example : American/european educated nurse gets Saudi Riyal 4500, indian educated nurse gets 1700 riyals. :). same degree, same qualification. but the country of education pays more.

i have a cousin who is Internist (He went to Aussie med school though) in Jeddah and works for american health agency. he said to me that the only expenditure is food and clothing for doctors and nurses. everything else is covered by job. and you know how cheap food is in KSA. its been 2yrs and he has already saved a huge chunk and ready to move to dubai :)

What is the conversion rate of riyal-->USD??

12k riyal = 3200 usd. That seem way to little even with no taxes.

Last edited:
12k riyal = 3200 usd. That seem way to little even with no taxes.

that's what I think. I am from saudi arabia and I know that healthcare professions make decent living especially if the degree was obtained from an internationally recognized schools. Frankly, once I am done with my BS degree I can go back and work for now less than 20K riyal per month. Therefore, unless the DPM degree is not recognized over there, I think a starting DPM surgeon salary should be somewhere between 25K-35K.

that's what I think. I am from saudi arabia and I know that healthcare professions make decent living especially if the degree was obtained from an internationally recognized schools. Frankly, once I am done with my BS degree I can go back and work for now less than 20K riyal per month. Therefore, unless the DPM degree is not recognized over there, I think a starting DPM surgeon salary should be somewhere between 25K-35K.
Considering here in the states, many physicians earn twice the money after taxes.:confused:

10-15K riyals is the base salary. You add your own fees for every procedure you do. that 10-15K is the guarantee which the recruiting agency offers you to come and work there.

Dont forget the living expenses,vaccation,no malpractice, no patient issues,etc stuff.

if you make there $5000 (lets say you are new and just got 1-2 patients for surgery in a month). then also that $5000 are pure saving. you do not have any other expenditures on your head. and the facilities aka housing,car,etc etc provided are excellent. In the end it adds up. ofcourse you cannot compare US salary range with outside country. Every place has its own standards. people who go these places are also looking for new experience,adventure,etc.

had it been such a bad deal. then not many MDs , Dentists, PharmD, Nurses, Pods would have chosen this option.