Practicum Placement Question (LPC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychStudent21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a first year MEd student interviewing at practicum sites right now.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with interning in a specific field and then getting a job in a different one after graduating. My example, if I do an internship at a career counseling center, would that limit my options later? Would I feel under trained to work at behavioral/mental health center?

Any input, past experiences, advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm a first year MEd student interviewing at practicum sites right now.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with interning in a specific field and then getting a job in a different one after graduating. My example, if I do an internship at a career counseling center, would that limit my options later? Would I feel under trained to work at behavioral/mental health center?

Any input, past experiences, advice would be appreciated.

The mental health world is far different from career counseling IMO. You should try to get some experience there if it interests you. But community mental health isnt all that picky about their masters level people in my experience. In fact, when I sat in on some hiring sessions they only made sure the applicant had the licensure or degree if they were under supervision. Practicum never came up. You would be more confident with some experience, but it probably wouldnt hurt you when applying to run of the mill jobs. If you are looking for something private or presitigious than it may make a difference, but even then they will probably want some real working experience after practicum