Practising Psychiatry in US after Canadian Psychiatry Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susruta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing Psychiatry residency in Canada. However, my family is moving to the US soon. I would like to practice in the US after my Canadian residency. I was wondering if anyone in this forum has taken a similar route?
What would be the process involved in this especially with licensing?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently doing Psychiatry residency in Canada. However, my family is moving to the US soon. I would like to practice in the US after my Canadian residency. I was wondering if anyone in this forum has taken a similar route?
What would be the process involved in this especially with licensing?

Thanks

Edit - I got this wrong.

Last edited:
You would have to do a US residency.
this is completely untrue.

in terms of licensing you apply for a license. it depends on the state but most states will easily license you if you have a provincial license. some (e.g. washington state) are much easier than others. you do not need to do the USMLEs except in the states (e.g. FL, SC, NC, NJ etc) that require it. canadian physicians are not considered IMGs since their schools are LCME accredited. however if you require a temporary visa (e.g. H1b) then you may need to take the USMLEs in order to get the visa.

Reactions: 1 user
While you did not ask about Board certification, I believe that getting ABPN certified is also now possible if you completed all of your training in a Canadian residency.