praticing medicine in england, canada, australia, etc w/ a US license?

bulldog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
what's the steps involved in praticing abroad w/ a US license? I'll be in Internal Medicine. Do you have to do residency all over again? do you have to take a certain test?

Dr.Millisevert

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2004
Status
Dentist
what's the steps involved in praticing abroad w/ a US license? I'll be in Internal Medicine. Do you have to do residency all over again? do you have to take a certain test?
To work in Australia:
You will need to sit the AMC exams and then you will need to contact the FRACP and ask them what else they will require in order for you to be eligible to sit their fellowship exam. I would reckon they would require at least 2-3 more years of training coming out of a US 3 year IM residency. :thumbup: Good luck.

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
Be board certified so you will be exempt from the lisencure exam.

About the Ads

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Each country is different, but the biggest obstacle will be the visa issues unless you plan on working in an underserved area.

That is, of course, if you are fully licensed and board certified before you attempt the paperwork.

canadian1234

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2007
Status
Non-Student
I understand that Australia (and other countries?) have recently eased restrictions for IMG's (ie anyone who is not a native Australian) to practice in rural underserviced areas.

Has anyone been through getting a license there?

About the Ads