***Pre-Allo News Desk***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavalierMD

Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interview season is upon us, friends! We all know that brushing up on current events in science and medicine is a necessary part of interview prep... so why not help each other out?? Gunner tendencies aside, folks: if you stumble on a pertinent article or news item, share with the class. Let this be the go-to thread for information, dialogue, and exchange. SDNers will dominate the interview circuit :thumbup: :luck:

RULES
*Only articles related to medicine and science, please
*Post the article as a link
*When the list starts growing, we can split everything up by month and topic... be sure to post in the correct place :)
*If you need a subscription or registration to access the article, mention that in your post; if you're feeling particularly generous, you could summarize the article for those who don't have a subscription :thumbup:
*If there's an article you'd like to discuss in depth with fellow SDNers... start a new thread in the Healthcare Topics forum. We'll link out to all the "dialouge" threads from this list.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My favorite places to visit are The American Journal of Bioethics and The New York Times' Health Section. SDN also has a forum dedicated to current topics in health care. Be sure to also read the interview feedback page. Several questions seem to pop up regularly at some schools. I remember reading about FSU's famous "If you were the health czar of the United States" question. I ended up having the same interviewer and was luckily prepared with a well planned response.

Great editorial from the NEJM on the impact of implementing performance based pay for US physicians.

i'm liking this thread already! i'll post links later...

Keep 'em coming guys! :thumbup:

Thanks for organizing Cav, but I was wondering, how can you change the text of a link (ie change link from the URL to MA Univ. Healthcare)?
Thanks in advance.
-Dr. P.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great thread!

Dr. Pepper said:
Thanks for organizing Cav, but I was wondering, how can you change the text of a link (ie change link from the URL to MA Univ. Healthcare)?
Thanks in advance.
-Dr. P.
When you post, there's a little button at the top of the post box (looks like a little globe). Click on it, and a window will pop up, which will prompt you to enter the text you want displayed, and then the url.

Wow what a great thread. I love reading these types of articles. Here's one I read in NEJM a few weeks ago that I thought was REALLY good:

Roe vs. Reality

Dr. Pepper said:
Thanks in advance.
-Dr. P.

<URL=http://www.websitehere.com> Text Here </URL>

And add [] instead of <>

:clap: CavalierMD! The entering class of 2007 knows how to make a MEAN LIST! Do you see us, Adcoms? DO you see how listalicious we are? NOW give us an INTERVIEW!! :laugh:

just thought id add some info - if you check out NY Times Health section, and search for Larry Zaroff, he writes some great case articles (usually interesting, but maybe not the most helpful, but good reads) and was my professor at Stanford this year.

Enjoy!

The Kaiser Network does a nice job of sending regular emails on a list of topics.

Here's the link.

You can select the topics you want and ignore the rest.

edit:
Like this one I got just a second ago (there are links to the original story in the synopses:

Science & Medicine | HIV Can Replicate in Intestinal Lining Even After HAART Reduces Viral Load, Study Says
[Aug 01, 2006]

HIV can replicate and suppress the immune system in the intestinal lining, even after blood tests show that highly active antiretroviral therapy is reducing viral loads, according to a study published in the August issue of the Journal of Virology, London's Times reports (Lister, Times, 7/29)...

I ain't too proud to bump.

CavalierMD said:
I ain't too proud to bump.

I don't mind, 'cause you mean that much to me. Meanwhile, you ought to be crowned Queen Awesome for curating this thread.

Here are a couple additions:

Public Health/Health Policy

Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report My organization refers to it as the CDC's weekly buzzkill. "Malaria's killing all the children in Iowa!" "HIV still has no cure!" Still, it's kind of the big newspaper for public health wonks and practitioners alike. It's technical without being too sludgy.

Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Magazine Great resource from the school I'd give my left...arm to attend.

Alabama Department of Public Health's webcasts Every week, there's a new bit of rad that they release as a webcast. Many of them are regional-focused, but some are just great (including the STD update in 2005).

Oh, and one more thing: if you have teh Intarweb on your cellphone, and are killing time on a train (or if your plane's taxiing on the runway, en route to an interview), take a looksee at news.google.com -- it's almost like Google News on a real computer, but all the pages are formatted for your cellphone. They often have some good articles in their Health section.

I've interviewed at 3 different schools, and having better knowledge of current events and issues in health care really wouldn't have made a difference. Just an observation!

I've interviewed at 3 different schools, and having better knowledge of current events and issues in health care really wouldn't have made a difference. Just an observation!

Same with me, and I've had 8 interviews lol.

bump for those who are genuinely interested &/or preparing for interviews

First, let me say that this is an awesome thread... great idea CavalierMD!! :)

My contribution will be the MedScape MedPulse website for med students. It's hosted by WebMD & You can sign up for a free account. You can also choose to receive weekly or daily medical updates in your inbox. Great site, highly recommend it!

By The Way....

I vote that this thread be turned into a Sticky!!!!! :)