Pre-Allo Underdog Thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bro Dude

Subaquatic Creel Engineer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the risk of starting another potential MD/DO/Caribbean/URM/DNP/ND/"insert controversial topic here" type of thread, I do have a legitimate question:

There seems to be no equivalent of the Underdog Thread (a hallmark of the Pre-Medical Osteopathic Forum) in the Pre-Allo forum. What gives?

It sounds quite idealistic perhaps, but I think it could serve as an inspiration to many.

Members don't see this ad.

At the risk of starting another potential MD/DO/Caribbean/URM/DNP/ND/"insert controversial topic here" type of thread, I do have a legitimate question:

There seems to be no equivalent of the Underdog Thread (a hallmark of the Pre-Medical Osteopathic Forum) in the Pre-Allo forum. What gives?

It sounds quite idealistic perhaps, but I think it could serve as an inspiration to many.

well I had a 3.7/3.6 29 and managed...

I think its because more often than not the dudes with the 3.0's are not getting into a US MD school...

I think there are similar type threads in other forums like the non-trads section. I do like the idea of creating an underdog thread in pre-allo though. Need to set some parameters first.

Also, checking in as an underdog.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a low GPA thread in the Post-Bac forum. Most of the people who got into Allo with less than a 3.2 posted there.

I think this is a good idea. I would like to see where the underdogs from pre-Allo get in.

What would be the GPA/MCAT cut-off for pre-allo underdogs though? Under 3.5 and under 32 MCAT?

I think this is a good idea. I would like to see where the underdogs from pre-Allo get in.

What would be the GPA/MCAT cut-off for pre-allo underdogs though? Under 3.5 and under 32 MCAT?

What? MD schools have around a 30 MCAT and about a 3.65 GPA. An underdog would be someone with a <3.4 gpa <27 MCAT.

It really kind of depends on the school's averages though. Obviously an underdog for Harvard can still be near the top of the class at other schools.

What? MD schools have around a 30 MCAT and about a 3.65 GPA. An underdog would be someone with a <3.4 gpa <27 MCAT.

It really kind of depends on the school's averages though. Obviously an underdog for Harvard can still be near the top of the class at other schools.

Welcome to SDN. Where anyone below the matriculant average is considered an underdog.;)

I got 2 Bs in 3rd grade. I toughed it out and haven't gotten another since.

Checking in as an underdog. Wooh......

There's no pre-allo underdog thread because it would get filled with 3.6/32 people and then scare away any potential new SDN members. Bad for business, yo.

I would check-in as an underdog but I don't think SDN would allow me to be an underdog considering I'm of URM status.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
CodeBlu, how long have you been in medical school? Lol. I don't really care, just poking fun.

Anyway, yeah, I think pre-allo underdog thread is dumb. Even 3.9 GPA 32 MCAT people I have met have talked about feeling like underdogs....:uhno:

In what way(s) are you an underdog?

Very low MCAT. No, not 3.5 low.. VERY low.
Low MCAT... because I got a 6 in the bio section since I took it while desperately needing to use the bathroom -_-" I'll hopefully retake in July.

There's no pre-allo underdog thread because it would get filled with 3.6/32 people and then scare away any potential new SDN members. Bad for business, yo.

I don't know, I think if we made the criteria somewhere in the neighborhood of <3.4 and <30 MCAT and then aggresively shunned anyone not fitting those numbers, it could probably work.

I don't know, I think if we made the criteria somewhere in the neighborhood of <3.4 and <30 MCAT and then aggresively shunned anyone not fitting those numbers, it could probably work.

The problem would be you wouldn't have your Pre-Allo Underdogs getting acceptances and it would become that "No interviews yet" thread from last cycle. Historically, only ~25% of people with those numbers got accepted, and that 25% is probably inflated by people who did SMPs, people with friendly state schools, and URMs.

I may be considered an underdog by most but I'm really not. I have a 3.16 undergrad gpa and a 3.4 grad gpa. I last took the mcat in 2010 and made a 12. I have been studying some but not as much as I would like. I still have faith and know that I will do amazing on the retake. Stay tuned, praise report on the way!!!

:laugh::love::laugh::love:

3.6 gpa and 32 mcat :mad:

count me in on this thread

Said the person who stayed on SDN for too long.

if i get a 3.3 for 5 summer classes i just finished will that hurt me at all?.....