Pre-Audiology - Withdraw from Orgo I course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amberhermia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've read about the prerequisites at most Au.d programs, Organic Chemistry is not generally required for admission. I'm taking Orgo I this semester, and while I'm not failing the course (yet), I am working while going to school full time and I'm having much trouble finding the time to devote to this class. If I withdrew with a W, would that hurt my chances of admission? I'm very afraid that if I stick it out it'll hurt my GPA. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I started out pre-med. Took Organic I 2x, Once with a W, the other a B and Org II 1x and unfortunately failed the course. I made it in. Definitely not a requirement anywhere. I'd say if you know you don't need it for your undergrad degree it's not going to hurt you to withdraw, but that is just my .02

Last edited:
W's really don't hurt your application too much (I think). So many programs rely firstly on a simple ranking of applicants using GRE and GPA. A counselor once told me that W's are only a problem if a student has a lot of them, and I tend to agree.

Something to consider though is are you sure you're not going to change your mind and apply to med school instead? Because it's only going to be harder to take this class as time goes on and chemistry is not so recent in your mind.

Take it from a pre-med nerd whose GPA took a beating, if you aren't required to have organic chemistry and it's hurting your GPA then drop it.

It's one of the few I don't think you would need for audiology.

The few I would not get rid of are:
- Any physical chemistry course
- Any physics courses (after all sound is a major field of study in physics and will be all around you in bio acoustics and psycho acoustics)
- Any calculus course
- Any Psychology courses - Counseling is a huge part of our job!
- Any business courses - We don't receive much business experience yet many in our field are expected to be businessmen first and clinicians second even in the hospital settings