Oct 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
Hi all,

I’m wondering if I can get the opinions of those who are professors or those who have any helpful advice. I am up for a research coordinator position at a children’s hospital. My end goal is to work as a pediatric neuropsychologist, so I’d like to attend a clinical PhD program that has child labs/neuropsychology labs. My question is - the CRC position will not be under clinical psychologists; most likely, it will be under a different subgroup (think studies related to orthopedics, nephrology, heart disease, etc. - don’t want to give away the specifics for anonymity reasons). I’m wondering if I get a recommendation letter from someone who is not a clinical psychologist, or if I don’t work directly under psychology studies, that it will hinder my chances of getting into a clinical program. I have a strong foundation in psychology and already have a letter of recommendation from a clinical psychology professor secured. I’d love any advice or insight that anyone has. Feel free to DM me as well.

Thank you in advance!

Temperance

5+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
I'm a graduate student, so take this for what it's worth: none of my letters were from clinical psychologists. They were, however, from people with whom I had worked extensively in research, so they were able to speak about my abilities and potential as an (eventual) independent investigator.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
I'm a graduate student, so take this for what it's worth: none of my letters were from clinical psychologists. They were, however, from people with whom I had worked extensively in research, so they were able to speak about my abilities and potential as an (eventual) independent investigator.
This is very helpful, thank you. Are you in a clinical program?

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.