ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just curious-- how much do your grades on the pre-clinical shelves matter? They end mattering somewhat within my school, so I've had a hard time getting an answer on how much they matter to anyone outside our campus.

We took the NBME anatomy shelf first year, will take the OPP shelf this semester, and then take a bunch of NBME ones next semester (physio, pharm, micro etc.) Obviously, doing well on them is a good sign for bonds, but I was wondering if residencies would end up seeing your actual scores, and how they'd weigh them.

Thanks!

Stagg737

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wth is a pre-clinical shelf exam? Do they actually count towards grades at your school?

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The NBME anatomy shelf was part of our anatomy grade, and the NBOME OPP shelf is part of this semester's OPP grade. Next semester, the NBME shelves are part of a board-review course grade, but from what I understand they're not a numerically huge part of it.

I have a decent understanding of how it works within my school, but no clue how these grades matter outside of it.

About the Ads

wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I'm an M2 and I don't know wat a shelf is. Wtf???

Stagg737

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The NBME anatomy shelf was part of our anatomy grade, and the NBOME OPP shelf is part of this semester's OPP grade. Next semester, the NBME shelves are part of a board-review course grade, but from what I understand they're not a numerically huge part of it.

I have a decent understanding of how it works within my school, but no clue how these grades matter outside of it.
I've never heard of schools counting shelf exams as grades in pre-clinical years, or even pre-clinical students taking them other than NBOME just for board prep...

You might want to PM some of the attendings/residents to see if they know. My guess is they probably won't count for much if anything since they'd probably just be seen as a test of for a class, but idk.

About the Ads