1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pre-decision letter of intent

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by Jorje286, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Jorje286

Jorje286 Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm planning to write a letter of intent for a school [that if I'm accepted I will go there] before they actually announce their admission decisions. Do you guys think that this is a good or bad idea? I know usually letters of intent are written if one is put on the waiting list.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GliaGirl

5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I can't really tell you if its a good idea or not, but I can tell you that there might be other ways of making your intent obvious without being so blatant. I've had success writing extensive thank you notes to schools I am interested in after an interview, starting with a thank you for the opportunity to interview, and following up with a list of reasons why the school so attractive. Complimenting the features of the program that are attractive is an easy way to show that you were impressed. A lot of people write thank you notes from what I understand, but being very detailed about WHY you are thankful is probably a good way of saying I AM INTERESTED without coming out and saying it. Also, when I write more extensive thank you notes, I tend to actually get responses back, and it is usually obvious from the response how the school felt the interview went.

In general, though, if you are 100% sure you want to go there, it never hurts to be honest. I heard a story from a program administrator who got an email EVERY SINGLE WEEK from a person on the wait list, but when it came time for the committee meeting to decide who would get a spot that had opened up, she knew exactly who to offer it to, because they knew the applicant would take the slot, even that late in the game. Obviously don't go crazy like that person did, but you get the point.

4. Jorje286

Jorje286 Member
    10+ Year Member

:thumbup:

Thanks for the response and I agree. The only thing though is that it's almost been a month since the interview and a thank you letter for the interview might be a bit too late. I think I'll do something in between: write a letter to basically say that I'd love being there (while of course fully detailing the reasons) without so blatantly saying that I will definitely go there if I'm accepted.

5. anemone2

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    I visited one school where I was told the committee would actually like to hear from us closer to decision time, so I plan on sending a "letter of interest" there. Other places may not care at all, but I don't think it'll hurt in anyway to let them know you'd really want to go there - plus it's good for your peace of mind to know that you did all you could, right?

I'm also a big fan of the extensive thank you notes, but those are probably most effective 1-2 days after the interview.

6. Jorje286

Jorje286 Member
    10+ Year Member

:laugh: Basically. At least I know that I will not go down without a fight.

7. bd4727

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In my opinion, doing so can only help you. If you actually would go there for sure if accepted, I think it is fine to be as straightforward with programs as possible. I told the program director at my school that it was my first choice at the end of our interview.

If you are telling this to every school that you interview at, then that is incredibly sketchy, I would say.

8. LuckyBunny2009

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey Jorje286,

How did the letter pan out? Did you address it to adcom and submit it by email? Get any replies acknowledging the receipt of the letter by the dean or committee?

Thanks!

9. pazan

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What's the etiquette when writing these? Should you include updates about what you've been doing since the interview? Should you say that you've been accepted to other MSTPs but would attend their school if accepted?

10. LuckyBunny2009

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi Pazan,

all of the above. You should most definitely use your acceptances to your advantage, but word it artfully. This shows that you have true interest and are well-sought. You should also provide them with a brief update and tie them in to a few selling points that is unique or strong to your application.

Emailing this would be nice...write to the committee on admissions and cc it to the director of admission.

PLease please please think thoughtfully and withdraw from your other acceptances if you hear from this program favorably, it'll save someone else a lot of anxiety. Don't wait too long to do this!