Pre Dental but my chances are low of getting in..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandabearsnake

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a pre dental and I will be graduting next year with my Bachelors. My Gpa is really low (3.0) and I haven't given my DAT yet but I think the schools might not consider me a good candidate even if I nail my DAT score. I do not want to give up on my dream but at the same time I don't want to waste my time.

I was thinking of giving DAT in next year June and apply to dental schools if I get a good score but then also go for a Dental Hygiene Program. I am not sure how that program works since I already have my bachelors? If anyone knows about it or have any idea where can I get the info please let me know.

are there any cons to apply for a dental hygiene program?

I want to go to a professional school and don't want to apply for a post bacc or masters program.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You've put yourself in a position where you will have to do things you dont "want" to do.

You did not mention your science GPA, but getting acceptance will likely require 1-2 years of post bacc or grad school to bring up your numbers and demonstrate you are academically ready. You will also have to destroy your DAT.

In your shoes I would work for a few years and see if dentistry continues to interest me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Find a formal post-bacc program and go score a 20+ on the DAT

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.1 undergrad GPA. 22AA DAT. I also went to a highly thought of university which can help when schools look at your GPA. Did a masters program, had 3 interviews this cycle (including my top 2 choices). It does help to do something that shows you can handle the rigor of dental school.
Hi! what masters program did you do?

With a GPA near 3.0, SMP is the most efficient way to prove yourself ready for dental school. Get a SMP/Grad GPA at 3.7+, and see if any programs include DAT prep so you don't risk having a low score on your application record before you are ready to apply (all attempts are reported). Any program with linkage conditions also would be advisable.

I did the Tulane cell and molecular biology one year masters!! Highly recommend, Theg have gross anatomy with cadavers for full body and head and neck. There is also DAT prep courses included in tuition! Attending my top school in August!

Hey! I applied to the biochem and molecular biology program at Tulane. Do you know anything about this program? I've applied to dental schools twice already and need something to boost my GPA and make me more competitive.

I know that that program is at the medical school, but thats all I know. I would recommend the cell and molecular biology program - its unique, you get to take cadaver anatomy, classes at the med school, public health and regular grad classes, and they have DAT prep courses. But all of the staff at Tulane and all the programs are great!
Thank you for that info. I applied to that program as well! Thank you! Did you get into dental school this cycle?