Pre-dental Conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notsowisetooth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there such thing? I'm the treasurer of my school's pre-dental group and would love to take a group to one.

Members don't see this ad.

UTHSCSA has a Pre-Dental Summit, but it is for leaders/officers of pre-dental organizations at Universities in Texas.

Is there such thing? I'm the treasurer of my school's pre-dental group and would love to take a group to one.

Well, what exactly do you expect of a pre-dental conference? I've never heard of one, but I also don't know how much stuff one could do at a pre-dental conference, so it seems like if anyone tried to put one on, the agenda would be pretty sparce.

Pacific has Pacific Pride Day...it's $20 and you come and hear and talk to admissions people, tour the school, and learn about getting into the program.

There are also the pre-clinical simulation workshops at both Pacific and UCLA. UCLA has weekend classes on waxing, and full and partial dentures. Pacific's is a little more of a simulation course for preping direct amalgam restorations.

San Diego State has a pre-health conference, but it is more geared towards pre-meds, but some dental school reps show up too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, what exactly do you expect of a pre-dental conference? I've never heard of one, but I also don't know how much stuff one could do at a pre-dental conference, so it seems like if anyone tried to put one on, the agenda would be pretty sparce.

I was thinking about holding events such as:

1) Dental Application Workshop
2) Chance to tour the hosting school (Penn, in my case)
3) Guest Speakers (Oral Surgeons, GPs, etc)
4) A chance to get to meet other pre-dents

I guess the goal of the conference would be to meet and greet other predentals because I don't know about anyone else, but at Penn, almost every "pre health" person wants to be a doctor and they don't even know about the wonders of dentistry.

Do you guys think such a conference would have a chance of success at all?

I don't know about that but I know there are pre-dental workshops open to everybody at Nova's Dental School, I know it's not a conference, but it's a chance for something new if you want.

I was thinking about holding events such as:

1) Dental Application Workshop
2) Chance to tour the hosting school (Penn, in my case)
3) Guest Speakers (Oral Surgeons, GPs, etc)
4) A chance to get to meet other pre-dents

I guess the goal of the conference would be to meet and greet other predentals because I don't know about anyone else, but at Penn, almost every "pre health" person wants to be a doctor and they don't even know about the wonders of dentistry.

Do you guys think such a conference would have a chance of success at all?
nosowisetooth, this is an interesting idea--something i have been thinking about recently, before seeing this thread on SDN. I am a dental student at Marquette in Milwaukee, and I have suggested hosting an event like this for any pre-dent students at 4-year schools in Wisconsin. this event would be run by Marquette's chapter of ASDA (American Student Dental Association). i'm interested to hear any other thoughts you might have about this kind of an event. this is only in brainstorming stages for us, and there isn't much of a model in place for something like this...feels like i'm doing it from scratch.