Pre-Dental in college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAlec114

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does it work? I am considering becoming a dentist but I am not sure yet. I plan on majoring in Econ/Psych/Bio. To have the pre-dental req for dental school, I would need to take certain classes in conjunction with my major, right? Just a little confused on how it works..

Members don't see this ad.

take 2 semesters of physics, general chemistry, biology, and organic chemistry. that's all you really need

Last edited:
Yea you got it right. You can major in anything and go to dental school as long as you take the pre-requisite courses. each school will have different requirements but as long as you take 8 hours of physics, general chem, organic chem, and biology then you are on the right track. Then after those classes it wouldn't hurt to take biochemistry and microbiology, but obviously the more biology courses you take the better.

Thanks! Since I'm not in college yet ( just a highschooler pondering future careers ) I can't guage how much that is. Will it feel like I'm doing a double major..?

Thanks! Since I'm not in college yet ( just a highschooler pondering future careers ) I can't guage how much that is. Will it feel like I'm doing a double major..?

No. I know my school required you to take Bio I, Chem I, Phys I & II, and English related classes. The extra would be another bio, another chem, and ochem I & II. Those would be considered unrestricted electives if not required for your major. Typically, you'd have plenty of those to cover the extra classes you need for dental school.

Also, I'd look through the forums and internet-there's a lot of info out there regarding what you're asking so people don't have to repeat themselves...