pre-dental questions on the dental page?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ineedanassociate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Student Doctor Network message board is a great resorce I wish it had existed during my pre-dent. and dental student days 1979-1989. Well the internet wasn't even mentioned in those accient days. However I think that admission questions should stay on the pre-dent page. Questions re Dentistry in general ,specialties, school rankings etc. I would think are ideal for the Dental Student page.

Members don't see this ad.

Lets bump this post to the top

Members don't see this ad :)
Big Poppa are you a senior at Marquette? Do you have plans for next year? As you may have noticed from my display name I need an associate. I'm not recruiting with this post. However. I would be curious what plans the class of 2002 of any dental school has. From one senior I've talked to and 4-5 GPR residents I met at a party. You Guys appear to have difficulty looking ahead. I know exams and requirements, boards etc take alot of your attention but don't forget why your doing these things and that is to practice a great profession. I found that having the "what's next" goal made focusing on the present more meaning full. Let me give you some examples. The goal of dental school helped focus undergrad esp. Organic Chem. The goal of getting a GPR spot focused me for tedious lab work. The goal of my own practice gave meaning to some of the less glamerous aspects of the residency. Now my goal is getting my practice in shape to have another doctor join me. Prior to this goal I had a new building as a goal. I'm also working toward my fellowship in the AGD. This proably should have been a new topic post but this type of discussion was what I expected on a dental student forum.

Ineedanassociate, you mentioned in your post that you've completed a GPR and are now working towards an AGD fellowship. I would appreciate it if you could clear up a few questions I have regarding the two. First of all, what are the advantages of completing a GPR, why is it so useful, can you give some specific examples of the kinds of things you learned during your year of residency that you couldn't have if you were just working as an associate? Also are there major differences between the programs at the various schools? Second, I'm curious to know why you're doing an AGD right now, I was under the impression that people either did one or the other. What are the differences between the two, and if you had to recommend one to do after dental school, which one would it be? Also, are you completing your AGD at the same time as you are running your own practice, I didn't know that was possible. Thanks in advance, it's always great to get the advice of someone who is already in the profession.

DDS2006

Ok I am a member of the Academy of General Dentistry working on my fellowship. The requirements are roughly 500 CDE hour 5 years as a member and taking a exam and attending the convocation. I learned a great deal during my GPR not least of which was how much time procedures took without the dental school hurry up and wait routine. Hope this clears things up. Fellowship in AGD v.AEGD

I had to cut short my last post as my 2:00 pt. was here. I would recommend a hospital based GPR over an AEGD program. Since I did a GPR not an Advanced Education in General Dentistry, this is all opinion based on rumor most AEGD are based in dental Schools,most GPR's are in Hospitals. My understanding is that you would be doing some fairly complicated treatment that wouldn't be assigned to junior or senior dental students. The advantage of the GPR I feel is that you are doing all phases of treatment not just operative. Now I know that The AEGD programs will tell you that you will be involved will all phases of treatment but be aware if they have other specialties ie endo and prostho. those programs will suck off some of the cases.Advantages over an being an associate? I was only an associate for two months while the purchase of my practice was finalized and I was the associate of the selling doc. so my first hand experience is limited.If you were going into a situation were the senior dentist was going to be around for a few years and was willing to mentor you I don't see too much advantage in doing a residency. In my case the advantage was two fold 1 I needed income for the downpayment on the practice 2,The selling Doc only stayed for a few months,the original plan they were going back to school for ortho.

Ineedanassociate,

I am a senior at Marquette and you are right a lot of my classmates are unfocused on what to do next. So far in my class we have 3 students who were accepted to PROS and 3 accepted to ORTHO, one waiting to hear about Oral surgery and 1 waiting to hear about Endo and a lot of GPR/AEGD applicants.

As for myself, I contemplated doing a GPR or AEGD but many dentists I talked to except for faculty at the school discouraged it. Also, at this point I am really tired of being in school having not taken any years off between highschool, undergrad and dental school.

I going to look for a job during this Christmas break, (in my hometown in Canada) but if it doesn't work out I plan to take the CRDTS or NERBS.

Originally posted by Big_Poppa:
•Ineedanassociate,

I am a senior at Marquette and you are right a lot of my classmates are unfocused on what to do next. So far in my class we have 3 students who were accepted to PROS and 3 accepted to ORTHO, one waiting to hear about Oral surgery and 1 waiting to hear about Endo and a lot of GPR/AEGD applicants.

As for myself, I contemplated doing a GPR or AEGD but many dentists I talked to except for faculty at the school discouraged it. Also, at this point I am really tired of being in school having not taken any years off between highschool, undergrad and dental school.

I going to look for a job during this Christmas break, (in my hometown in Canada) but if it doesn't work out I plan to take the CRDTS or NERBS.•••