Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pre-Dental Student Here! *waves hand in air for attention*

Discussion in 'Step I' started by iambatman, Dec 9, 2005.

1. iambatman

iambatman Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Out of PURE curiosity, I wanted to see what Med School was all about.

I can't even imagine how TOUGH and DEMANDING Med School is - you have to know SO MUCH about the human body - it's UNBELIEVABLE!

Of course, the first few years leads up to the 'USMLE step 1', right?

BTW - what's the difference between complex 1 and step 1?

Anyway...back on subject...

...I was going through some practice questions for Step 1 from the USMLE homepage...

I WAS LIKE - HOLY MOLEY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

Do Med Schools REALLY prepare you to answer those types of questions?

I mean, at University, I've taken the pre-reqs, and also:

Biochem
    Microbio
    Cell Bio
    Pharmacology
    Genetics
    Physiology
    Anatomy

and some others that i can't remember...

...but EVEN with these courses, i'm still kind of lost...

...how are you prepared so well to answer the types of questions i saw?

is it easier than it looks? especially for someone who just graduated from uni, that is!

if you had to look at those questions when you graduated from university, would you feel the same way i do right now?

i'm just curios, that's all. i know med school is tough - but THAT TOUGH???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Alright, you got my attention. Could I have answered the questions you're talking about right after graduating college? Probably not. I'd be lucky if I got 5/50 right. But that's what med school is for...

Med school seems impossible before you start but certainly doable when you're actually doing it. That seems to be the rule no matter what level of education you're talking about. I used to think 7th grade was impossible, but that's when I was in 4th grade. You get my point.

The COMLEX (not complex, although many on SDN mistakenly refer to it as such, Freudian slip??) is the national board exam for osteopathic medical students (those who will receive the DO degree). The USMLE is the national board exam for allopathic medical students (those who will receive the MD degree). Many osteopathic medical students take both exams so that they can apply to certain competitive allopathic residency programs as well as their own osteopathic residency programs when they graduate medical schools. Oh yeah, medical students (both DO and MD) must take their Step 1 (COMLEX and/or USMLE) at the end of their 2nd year of medical school, usually before starting clinical rotations as a 3rd year.

Another reason why you may be so lost is b/c you haven't taken pathology yet. A majority of both board exams focuses on pathology/pathophysiology. Ok, I'm done. G'luck.

4. iambatman

iambatman Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey, thx saib!

i've been waiting all day for a response, and finally!

thx again!