Pre-dents: Your attitude about getting into dental school?

Pre-Dents: What's YOUR attitude about getting into dental school?

• Bring it! I got what it takes.

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • I think I have what it takes, but I still have my doubts.

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • I have no chance.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Only time will tell...

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
About the Ads

hi-speed513

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2003
    Basically, before I took the DAT and applied to dental school I thought I had a snowballs chance in hell. My science GPA was barely above a 3.0 and when I was taking the Kaplan DAT practice tests, I was bombing them. The chem section, in particular, I was bombing on the practice tests, consistently getting 14's. I was so discouraged by the way I was doing in my DAT review course and by my science GPA that I thought, "I will never get accepted" and called off my plans for applying to dental school in the summer of 2002. I think the statement "what you fear most is what never happens" definitely has some truth to it. After working hard and improving my science gpa senior year, I took the DAT in the summer of 2003, got a 23 AA and scored above the 99th percentile in the science sections, and even ended up getting a 27 on the chem section! (that I had been getting 14's on in the practice tests!) Two years ago, I had lost all hope. My asian father called me a 'dropout' and a 'waste of $100,000 in college education.' Last year I finally got the balls to believe in myself and not care what my prehealth advisor or my parents had to say. I went into the application process with confidence despite my less than hot grades and not so encouraging comments from my father. I got interview invites at 9 out of thirteen schools (including an ivy league school) and have been accepted to 3 so far. Moral of the story for anyone who has doubts about getting in: If you have a genuine calling towards dentistry, grab the bull by the horns, believe in yourself, and the rest will fall into place. :hardy:

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 23, 2003
    Texas
      Originally posted by hi-speed513
      Basically, before I took the DAT and applied to dental school I thought I had a snowballs chance in hell. My science GPA was barely above a 3.0 and when I was taking the Kaplan DAT practice tests, I was bombing them. The chem section, in particular, I was bombing on the practice tests, consistently getting 14's. I was so discouraged by the way I was doing in my DAT review course and by my science GPA that I thought, "I will never get accepted" and called off my plans for applying to dental school in the summer of 2002. I think the statement "what you fear most is what never happens" definitely has some truth to it. After working hard and improving my science gpa senior year, I took the DAT in the summer of 2003, got a 23 AA and scored above the 99th percentile in the science sections, and even ended up getting a 27 on the chem section! (that I had been getting 14's on in the practice tests!) Two years ago, I had lost all hope. My asian father called me a 'dropout' and a 'waste of $100,000 in college education.' Last year I finally got the balls to believe in myself and not care what my prehealth advisor or my parents had to say. I went into the application process with confidence despite my less than hot grades and not so encouraging comments from my father. I got interview invites at 9 out of thirteen schools (including an ivy league school) and have been accepted to 3 so far. Moral of the story for anyone who has doubts about getting in: If you have a genuine calling towards dentistry, grab the bull by the horns, believe in yourself, and the rest will fall into place. :hardy:

good for you! where there's a will, there's a way!

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Mar 23, 2003
      Texas
        Originally posted by ShawnOne
        Hey comet,

Anybody who goes around quoting JayZ shouldnt be taken seriously, so just ignore him.

I think we all know it was a typo and not a spelling error.

"Shake it like an amalgamator!" Yeah, you're one to be taken serious. You don't know me, so don't even bring that. Anyhow I don't come on SDN to associate with Comet and his butt patrol (aka "we"). I'll just ignore your a$$. Keep talking.

Mo007

Gifted Hands
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Aug 24, 2003
        Columbus, OH
          My 0.02 cent

Comet: I agree.

ShawnOne: You shouldnt have used 'Jay Z' to make that point.

busupshot83: There are obviously answers and opinions you acquire on SDN, just like the rest of us. We feel uncomfortable with excess threads from one individual, it doesnt mean you are being neglected, but you could have used all your questions and opinions in 1 or 2 threads. This is not to discourage you from posting again, but to guide you through how we all get along on SDN.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Mar 23, 2003
          Texas
            Originally posted by Mo007
            My 0.02 cent

busupshot83: ... This is not to discourage you from posting again, but to guide you through how we all get along on SDN.

My .05 cents...

What's up with this "we" thing?

Comet: We have been getting way too many of them!

Shawn: We all know it was a typo and not a spelling error.

Mo: We feel uncomfortable with excess threads from one individual.

You bois are freakish. Anyhow...

Mo: If you agree with Comet, then Ignore me too:

Go to USER CP above
            Click on EDIT IGNORE LIST
            Type in the people you want to ignore

This way, you won't have to see the "excess" that I post; simple as that. I've already added Comet and his buddy Shawn, no biggie.

You can save me the "how we all get along on SDN" trip, I've been here long enough to know the drill. I'm not going to stop posting because it makes someone uncomfortable. This is an internet forum, get over it. ;)

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.