Pre-DO ques

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by NMH2001, May 27, 2001.

1. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma

I wanted to get some advice from some fellow pre-DO's about my situation. I have a BA in Bio with a 3.0 GPA, from there I transferred to a medical school to get a second undergrad degree in Medical Technology with a 3.62 GPA (3.54 sci). My total GPA for undergrad is 3.31 and 3.26 Science. Have 4 years EMT experience, 2 years phlebotomy and lab experience, and will be taking MCAT in Aug. How do the stats look for DO schools, and what can I do to improve my credentials. Oh yes...I am a NY resident. Thank you in advance for advice!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Wooh there buddy.... You've shown a significant improvement in your stats. You definitely have something to offer the osteopathic medical school to which you will get accepted to with all the experience you've stated....

I say, you're looking pretty good to most osteopathic medical schools.... Did you get a letter of recommendation from a D.O. yet? Are you applying this year for next year's entering class?

As in most osteopathic medical schools, its not always the stats that would guarantee you an acceptance letter. But I'm sure you know that already....

Make sure you apply early, now if you'll be taking the August MCAT's and apply this year, then you're a bit late on the game.... but still very possible....

I say, if you want to improve your chances at this point, is to do well in your MCAT's and apply early. That's it.... So are you applying for Class of 2006? :cool:

4. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    Where are my manners.... NMH2001, WELCOME TO SDN!!! :D

5. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma

Yes, I am taking the MCAT in Aug and will still be applying for the incoming class of 2006. Thank you for your advice!! :D

6. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma

To Popoy:

So you feel that the adcoms will look at the grades from the second degree and not weigh so heavily on the total undergrad GPA? :confused:

7. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not an expert on adcoms, but the way I see it is that you've shown a great deal of improvement.... I see that as a definitely plus for them to see.

You have become what you are now and what you have now as far as numbers is the most current ones....

So in general, I say you have a pretty good chance.... This is the humble opinion of but one man, though.

The way I see it is that the adcoms will probably weigh those most current grades.... I know you've posted regarding a low grade and I'm not exactly sure how adcoms, like NYCOM, would see this. Whether or not you'll have to retake it.... I suggest calling the admission folks of those particular school.

So in a single word to answer your question is YES!!! That's what I think....

More power to you throughout this application process.... Remember to apply early and respond to the secondaries as quickly as possible.

Later,
    :cool:

8. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma

To Popoy (Last ques...I promise!!)
    I am thinking about retaking the C's I got in 2 of my pre-req's (also to improve my GPA considerably). Here's my question-can I take them at a community college? Would this be a good or bad idea?? I ask this because this is the only possibility for me because of work schedules and $$ issues. Thank you again, I really appreciate your help!

9. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member

Hi, I'm almost certain that AACOMAS will accept the community college courses. Give AACOMAS a call and describe your situation to them. They are EXTREMELY helpful and their advice may be the best advice to follow.

Good luck!!! :)

10. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    NMH2001... Keep the questions coming!!! That's what this forum is for and why I like hanging around.... I really don't mind :D

Wasabi seems to have answered this before I can get to it.... Yes, I've known of students who have taken community college courses and definitely count in your AACOMAS application.... but never the situation that you're at. That is, you want to retake a course in a community college that you've gotten a low score in from a different institution.... Quite a dilemma....

The way I see it is that you are going to have to provide AACOMAS ALL your transcripts, this can means that the grade you got from the previous institution will show up in your application. Now, if you retake it and get a good grade, then I see that as something that would balance out your GPA.... Thus, you can take it as a mean of two of those grades.... I'm not sure if my logic makes sense in writing, but it does in my head.... :)

Okay, if the only way for you is to retake it in a community college, then I say go for it. Make sure you get a better grade and then that'll show some form of improvement.... This would definitely improve your GPA, but MAY not necessarily take place of your old grade.... Are you hoping that it would replace your old grade? Because I don't think it does....

As Wasabi had suggested, call AACOMAS and find out from the source itself. I'm pretty sure that they'll tell you that retaking it in a community college will not replace the old grades in a different institution, but it will count towards your GPA.... which in this case would mean that you've basically taken the mean of both grades.... Geez, I think I just repeated myself. I hope I made some sort of sense....

I'm not sure how significantly it would change your overall GPA though this would depend on the units taken and grade awarded.

I hope I answered it some how.... It seems you have not much of a choice in where to retake it.... I say just go for it but just make sure you do MUCH MUCH BETTER!!!

Keep on postin' and as long as I can answer it, I'll post away and give my 2 cents on things.... Popoy :cool:

11. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma

But...the 2 courses I want to repeat were originally taken at the community college that I would like to repeat them at. Now...what do you think? (Why does this all have to be confusing?? ARRGGGGH!)

Thanks!!

12. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member

Originally posted by NMH2001:

I am thinking about retaking the C's I got in 2 of my pre-req's (also to improve my GPA considerably). Here's my question-can I take them at a community college? Would this be a good or bad idea??

But...the 2 courses I want to repeat were originally taken at the community college that I would like to repeat them at. Now...what do you think? (Why does this all have to be confusing?? ARRGGGGH!)

I don't understand. If you are repeating the courses at the same community college that you originally took the courses at, there really shouldn't be a problem and the original grades will be replaced with your repeated grades. Even if you plan to retake the courses at a different institution, your first set of grades can be replaced. All you need to do is send to AACOMAS the course descriptions from both institutions and explain to them how the courses are similar, etc..

Good luck.

13. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma

I did end up calling AACOMAS today and asking them about the repeat situation. They said it is perfectly OK to repeat those 2 courses, community college or 4 year institution. Thanks again guys for your advice! You've been very helpful to a lost pre-DO! ;)

14. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    I didn't check the forum early enough, but.... definitely if would replace your grades!!!! Well, this has definitely worked in your favor.... :D WELCOME TO THE APPLICATION PROCESS.... many questions, investigations, etc.... You're on your way bud!!! Good luck :cool:

15. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member

Are there any particular school that you are interested in? If so, contact their admissions counselors and explain your situation as you have here. Most admissions people will be glad to give you advice as to whether or what you may need to make your app competitive. However, you need to do this before you actually have apps in at these schools. If your app is in, the admissions people will be reluctant because of the fear of giving an appearance of favoritism. Good luck!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Gator

Gator Member

I have a question about contacting the osteophathic school admission offices. How much contact is bad? I want to make sure that the schools that I am applying to know me more than just through my application.

18. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    Gator,
    Welcome to SDN!!!
    Too much contact is when you just want to chitchat.... Admissions office are always busy. I'm not sure as to whether or not they will have time for them to get to know you. Besides, admissions office sometimes have no control over your actual admissions. They do mostly the administrative work (i.e. getting files organize, sending out mail, etc.). You can get a hold of someone that could help you in the process then that would be good (e.g. Director of Admissions in TUCOM Dr. Haight, is really good with this).

Enough is when you start bothering them for things that don't necessarily pertain to your application.... Anyone else have any thoughts on this?!

Welcome again to SDN!!! :cool:

19. Gator

Gator Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have another question. I assume that you have gone through all of the secondaries, can you give me some examples of questions that were asked? Also, where did you apply? Thanks.

20. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's a list of osteo schools I have applied to and have the secondaries to, so just chose the one's you'd like to see the secondary questions from and I'll post it up for you:

AZCOM, TUCOM, UNECOM, LECOM, KCOM, COMP, PCOM, UHS/COM, OSU-COM, NJSOM, NSUCOM, MSUCOM, NYCOM, DMU-OMC.

Late :D

21. Stillfocused

Stillfocused Senior Member

These are some of my top choices, I'd love to see the secondary questions.
    Thanks
    TUCOM, UNECOM, LECOM, KCOM, COMP, PCOM

22. Gator

Gator Member

If you could include NYCOM and COMP to the previous list I would appreciate it.

23. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    Stillfocused (WELCOME TO SDN!!!) and Gator

Here they are for your viewing pleasure.

TUCOM:
    - Explain why you have chosen to apply to TUCOM
    - Why should the admission committee accept you into thie year's class?
    - Describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to your becoming an outstanding osteopathic physician. Please include information that will enable the Admission Committee to understand your unique qualities.

UNECOM:
    - Describe any contacts you may have had with medicine or health care delivery:
    - In the space below present a written statement telling why you wish to become an Osteopathic Physician, why you wish to attend the UNECOM and any additional information you feel the college should know about you in order to aid the admissions committee in evaluating your application.
    - What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to UNECOM?

LECOM:
    - Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess which will make you a successful osteopathic physician.
    - Explain or describe any clinical and/or health related experiences you have had, include extracurricular school and community activities.

KCOM:
    - (If you are a reapplicant) What as changed since your last application?
    - What particular qualities do yo feel you can bring to KCOM?
    - Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?

COMP:
    - Describe and discuss your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in osteopathic medicine.
    - Describe the qualities that you possess that will make you a good osteopathic physician.
    - What criteria did you take into consideration in applying to Western U/COMP?
    - Describe any community service. Please include any work that you may have done in a medically underserved or economically disadvantage community.

PCOM:
    - What healthcare related experience have you had?
    - If you are a reapplicant, what have you done since your last application to become a more competitive applicant?
    - Write a statement indicating why you wish to become an osteopathic physician. Indicate specific reasons why you want to attend PCOM.

NYCOM:
    - sorry no secondary.... when you get an invite for an interview you fill something out with them...

Later peeps, Popoy :cool:

24. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma

Popoy,

NYCOM does not send out secondaries? Can you go into detail about how they work? This is a school i will be applying to and would like any info I can get! Thanks a bunch!!

N :D

25. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    NYCOM sends you a card saying that they will contact you for an interview and that you'd have to fill in a secondary once you get there....

I was accepted to DMU before I even got any invite so I never really went there.... Sorry. Maybe someone else who got into NYCOM or at least went to the interview can give you more detail.

DMU was my first choice and I declined all of them as soon as I got word I was accepted.

Anyone out there know exactly what NYCOM does to interviewers or what type of questions they ask? Post up!!! :cool: