pre-health advisor LOR and shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Siubking

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have questions regarding the importance of the pre-health advisor's LOR and shadowing a dentist. Lemme start with some personal info, I graduated in may 2005 and I've been working in a research lab. My undergraduate school has a pre-health advisor but he doesn't know me that well, so I don't know if I should submit my LORs directly to AADSAS or it is better to send my LORs to my pre-health advisor and let him compile a master LOR for AADSAS? Also I wonder what you guys do when you are shadowing. Do you guys just stand around and watch or you get to do something like handing tools and stuff? Do you stand next to the patient or far away?

Also does anybody know if there's any DDS/PhD or DMD/PhD programs? Any info on them?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Siubking said:
Hi all. I have questions regarding the importance of the pre-health advisor's LOR and shadowing a dentist. Lemme start with some personal info, I graduated in may 2005 and I've been working in a research lab. My undergraduate school has a pre-health advisor but he doesn't know me that well, so I don't know if I should submit my LORs directly to AADSAS or it is better to send my LORs to my pre-health advisor and let him compile a master LOR for AADSAS? Also I wonder what you guys do when you are shadowing. Do you guys just stand around and watch or you get to do something like handing tools and stuff? Do you stand next to the patient or far away?

Also does anybody know if there's any DDS/PhD or DMD/PhD programs? Any info on them?

Thanks!

Don't know about your LOR situation...For shadowing, I got to handle equipments and stuff and a few times even be chair-side assistant for basic procedures like teeth cleaning. I think it all depends on the dentist you shadow for. Some will let you stand next to the patient and watch, some just don't talk even to you, some will not want you to be near patients cuz they're afraid of making the patients uncomfortable. Yes, there are combined DDS/Ph.D. programs. Just look at the school's website and you'll find info on it. I'm know most dent schools have that option. Oi! Someone's being really ambitious here! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i am planning to apply now and I think his priorty is to complete the med students first...