Pre-Health advisor says I'm sunk despite strong scores. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oocytecryo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I met with a pre-health adviser at the school where I've been taking post-bacc prerequisites for dental school.

She told me dead on that my application would not pass muster at dental schools because of my deficiencies regarding volunteering/shadowing in the dental field. Although I may get interviews because of my DAT, I will be a weak candidate for all schools. In order to be accepted, she said, I would have to spend this fall putting in major volunteering/shadowing hours to demonstrate my interest in the field.

I am wondering- was she making a completely accurate statement, or was she slightly embellishing in order to motivate me to get my rear in gear regarding volunteering/shadowing this fall?

Here are my stats (Apps mailed 8/26, DAT taken 8/30):

GPA: 3.53/3.56/3.42/3/50 BCP/Science/Non-Science/Total
DAT: 24/24/24 AA/TS/PAT
Shadowing: I spent one day each with four different dentists- two general, a periodontist, and a prosthodontist. So 32 hours shadowing.
# of schools applied: 16
Other: Research and clinical lab experience (I'm 27), Coauthership on one paper. Thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail, worked in a wine store, et cetera et cetera et cetera.

She definitely scared me:scared:, as I spent the whole summer working (I work in a clinical IVF lab) and studying for the DAT, not really having time to volunteer because of other issues.

I'm going to spend the next week working the phones/turning on the charisma to find something to do with dentistry for the next few months.

If anyone could offer their advice or perspective, I would be incredibly grateful. Even after getting my DAT score three days ago and being on cloud 9 from that, I feel like proverbial poop now.:(

EDIT: Thanks so much for all of your responses. In the interest of being the future Bill Nye of Dentists, I am going to crack my own whip and try to cram in some dental immersion during the next few months. Hopefully it won't be too late!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yesterday I met with a pre-health adviser at the school where I've been taking post-bacc prerequisites for dental school.

She told me dead on that my application would not pass muster at dental schools because of my deficiencies regarding volunteering/shadowing in the dental field. Although I may get interviews because of my DAT, I will be a weak candidate for all schools. In order to be accepted, she said, I would have to spend this fall putting in major volunteering/shadowing hours to demonstrate my interest in the field.

I am wondering- was she making a completely accurate statement, or was she slightly embellishing in order to motivate me to get my rear in gear regarding volunteering/shadowing this fall?

Here are my stats (Apps mailed 8/26, DAT taken 8/30):

GPA: 3.53/3.56/3.42/3/50 BCP/Science/Non-Science/Total
DAT: 24/24/24 AA/TS/PAT
Shadowing: I spent one day each with four different dentists- two general, a periodontist, and a prosthodontist. So 32 hours shadowing.
# of schools applied: 16
Other: Research and clinical lab experience (I'm 27), Coauthership on one paper. Thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail, worked in a wine store, et cetera et cetera et cetera.

She definitely scared me:scared:, as I spent the whole summer working (I work in a clinical IVF lab) and studying for the DAT, not really having time to volunteer because of other issues.

I'm going to spend the next week working the phones/turning on the charisma to find something to do with dentistry for the next few months.

If anyone could offer their advice or perspective, I would be incredibly grateful. Even after getting my DAT score three days ago and being on cloud 9 from that, I feel like proverbial poop now.:(
you MUST volunteer. EC is important!!! They're not looking for bookworms.

With #'s like that, you can volunteer enough in a couple weeks to make do. Are you sure you haven't volunteered for anything in the last 5-10 years?

I forgot about a couple things from my original undergrad that are volunteer experiences, mostly through a couple clubs I was in, such as soup kitchens, mentoring freshman, and fundraisers. Maybe you did some stuff a few years ago you forgot about?

But really, with your DAT and decent life experiences, I think you will get in regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are full of it. Youve got great numbers. Do some shadowing/volunteering, and be able to express a strong passion and desire for dentistry. Make it evident in your essay. Send updates regarding your shadowing and volunteering as you compete it.

Your numbers are strong enough that its worth a shot. You certainly aren't "sunk" for the cycle.

I wish I had those numbers... :)

Absolutely crazy in my opinion! Your numbers are awesome and you will get plenty of interviews. Once you have an interview you are pretty much on a somewhat even playing field. If you blow the interview you most likely won't get accepted and if you do well then you will get accepted.

I would recommend putting in some hours volunteering, and doing some other EC activities but would not say you are "sunk" if you don't put in MAJOR hours.

Congrats on good looking statistics :)

I would not listen to your pre-Health advisor. All they know is from stories they heard from others. My interview with my school adviser was the worst. She gave me some really bad advises.When later I did mock interviews with dental students and dentists they told me my answers are really bad (based on her guidance). Ur adviser never been in a dental school interview or in dental school. I doubt that with your stats you will not get in somewhere. Yes, you will need to provide some explanations on your interview, but that will not prevent you from getting in- in my opinion.

My brother had a AA 25 TS 25 and had next to nothing for volunteering. Had research and shadowing but I think he seriously had no volunteering and got into several schools.
With great scores and decent GPA I think you will get interviews and in somewhere.

Coming from another pre-health advisor, I don't necessarily think you need oodles of volunteer work, but something every dental school looks for is whether or not someone is committed to the field and why exactly they want to go to dental school. If it seems like you have only observed dentists for four days, and know little about the field, they may question your commitment to dentistry. I would do some more volunteering, maybe help out at some more dental clinics or shadow some more dentists. I don't necessarily think you won't get into any schools with your stats/gpa/EC, but it will help you get into more schools, and you will be more likely to attend the school you want to attend.

If you can get those shadowing hour to 40, you can def add Indiana to the list.

I dont know what is the deal with Pre-health advisers. Applying to DS is like a math problem to them and their formula: high GPA, DAT, a lot of ECs, a lot of research hours. If you miss one of those, they will tell you stop dreaming about dental schools.

You dont have to worry about anything. Apply as many school as you can while continuing volunteer and shadowing. You will be fine.

dont listen to the haters. you'll get into plenty of schools. pre-health advisors are worthless. my pre-health advisor told me i should consider another field, like physical therapy. I applied to 14 schools, got 9 interviews, went to 7 of them, and got into 5.

I think at this point it's all in your personal statement. They are absolutely going to look at your app with those stats. If you have a good response for "why dentistry" then you're fine. Are you excited about research? Not all dental students end up going into general practice. We need smart people doing research too!

Your pre-health advisor is giving you a cookie-cutter answer. They don't even know how to talk to non-trads. I had a pre-dental advisor tell me that my grades were weak and that I did not have a good shot at dental school. Sure I have a 3.2-3.3 BCP and oGPA but my DAT is 20/21/23 and I have 4 years of experience doing restorative hygiene!

The best thing to do is look at a school's range of scores for accepted students. Some people get in with 17s on the DAT. Some people get in with 2.8s. And some people get in with no dental experience. It all depends on how strong you are in your other areas, and 24/24/24 is pretty darn strong!

I think at this point it's all in your personal statement. They are absolutely going to look at your app with those stats. If you have a good response for "why dentistry" then you're fine. Are you excited about research? Not all dental students end up going into general practice. We need smart people doing research too!

Your pre-health advisor is giving you a cookie-cutter answer. They don't even know how to talk to non-trads. I had a pre-dental advisor tell me that my grades were weak and that I did not have a good shot at dental school. Sure I have a 3.2-3.3 BCP and oGPA but my DAT is 20/21/23 and I have 4 years of experience doing restorative hygiene!

The best thing to do is look at a school's range of scores for accepted students. Some people get in with 17s on the DAT. Some people get in with 2.8s. And some people get in with no dental experience. It all depends on how strong you are in your other areas, and 24/24/24 is pretty darn strong!

SeattleRDH: I had this exact experience. I would be a lot more impressed with my pre-health advisor if he could formulate a plan that works for ME instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I found my advisor to be very negative, rude, and way-off with some of his advice. I think the OP will definitely have an opportunity to explain his interest in dentistry. No school will be blowing off those stats.

:thumbdown: to a-hole pre-health advisors.

:thumbup: to the non trads

:luck: Good Luck!

If you're sunk, then I'm way sunker. But I don't think I'm sunk at all. So If you want my opinion, apply to harvard.

Like everyone said, with such great numbers, your score will bring you pretty far, at least into getting an interview.

To be fair though, 32 hours of shadowing is kind of low. Many schools require like 60, and recommend 100.

I have about 75 hours of shadowing and 165 hours of volunteering as a dental assistant (I assume can be considered "shadowing" to equal about 200+ hours and I feel like I am still below in hours compared to many students.

With that said, you have fantastic scores so, I guess we'll just see!

Good luck!

I don't get what the big deal is about shadowing anyways. Don't they just want us to do it to make sure we know what we're getting into. Why do all these schools have such specific requirements and why do us pre-dents get so uptight about it? It seems like an extremely minor thing compared to everything else in the application, but I could be wrong.

I don't get what the big deal is about shadowing anyways. Don't they just want us to do it to make sure we know what we're getting into. Why do all these schools have such specific requirements and why do us pre-dents get so uptight about it? It seems like an extremely minor thing compared to everything else in the application, but I could be wrong.

In my opinion, shadowing is almost as important as volunteering/extracurricular. It shows that not only are you booksmart (while is very important) being able to interact and care for patients from a variety of different backgrounds is key in being a successful dentist.

Sitting in the Bio Lecture room or in the library studying for the DATs will not help you learn that. Actually being in the workplace will give you a good idea of what it will actually be like.
Yes, they want us to know what we are getting into. But now just how many hours we work, and how to do an extraction. They want us to be able to interact with co-workers, and again most importantly, patients. Having genuine patient-to-doctor interaction is key, and they want us to understand that.
You won't really understand it if you have only been there for 30 hours. or 50.
Only when you fully immerse yourself (while keeping your day job or going to school, whichever one it is) will you be able to appreciate the profession of dentistry.

Totally, EC's, volunteering, and shadowing are just as important as grades in my opinion. Especially if you haven't shadowed, see how differently things can be run and how different doctors and morale is from office to office. Of course, to make sure if its really for you. Judging by your post I'm not sure if you have had no, little, or a descent amount of shadowing. Not to mention that the EC's and volunteering shows how that you can work with a large variety of people, the volunteering shows compassion for helping other people, which in essence, is what a dentist does everyday. Best of luck to you!!

Last edited:
Being president of a fraternity/sorority and volunteering for soup kitchens most certainly will not give you an iota of inkling on whether the profession is for you.

Pre-health professions advisors haven't a clue. We had two advisors at my college when I was applying. One of them told me that he said there was absolutely no way I would get accepted with my DAT score-- it was not by any means the best (18 AA), I know that. I was a Division I athlete (basketball and track) and a bio major (3.9 science, 3.8 cumulative). And he said I would be lucky to get interviews because of my DAT. So 5 interview invitations, 4 interviews attended, and 4 acceptances later... I still wonder if he was scratching his head in confusion. Truth is, they don't know. They are just the gatekeepers to all of us who aspire to become dentists, physicians, pharmacists, etc.

While I agree that it is important to have shadowed and have an understanding of what you are getting yourself into, who cares if you put in 1000 hours if you can't hack it in the classroom.

Granted, I applied 5 years ago and just graduated this year, and even though I had right around 100 hours of shadowing/observation, I knew that it was what I wanted to do after one day. So, all the BS about you need to do 100+ hours of shadowing so you truly know what you're getting yourself into-- IMO, if you don't know after a few days, I really don't think 100 hours is going to change your mind. It's not medicine where there are so many different fields you can go into. It's dentistry. It's teeth. You either love it or you hate it.

I know there are schools who require so many hours of shadowing now-- but IMO it is to weed people out. If you are on the bubble with your grades and DAT but have ample shadowing experience, it might help you get the interview. If you have outstanding grades and DAT, you can still get interviews without having over-the-top shadowing experience. And once you're at the interview, you're on a level playing field.

Shadowing serves the purpose of just getting you acquainted to the profession, to understand some of the basic procedures, and to see if it is something you can see yourself doing. But when you get to dental school, you really don't know anything about teeth or dentistry, unless you were a hygienist, lab tech, etc.

Sorry for the rant. But to the OP-- I think you are fine. You should get some interviews for sure.