Pre-Health Committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fedxup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my letters together. I am not sure if the process is the same at other schools but at my college they require a personal statement and MCAT score before they start writing. I was just wondering if my personal statement and MCAT score is "protected" from sharing it with other professors. My personal statement is very personal. Something I don't wish to share with professors. I don't know if FERPA covers stuff like this. I guess my question is: Is the pre-health committee allowed to share my PS and MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine works the same way. only they require those things so you can do a mock interview based on the interview styles and traditional stats of your choices. the only ppl that sees our scores are the interviewers some of whom will be professors or administration. Our school then sends a committee letter saying how "ready" that applicant is for that particular school.

I dnt know if yours is like this ,but if they require it before its because they are using them to assess how qualified you are for the school and to add to the letter. I think its the same with the personal statement. a lot of times they'll ask people to rewrite it if it isn't up to standard. im pretty sure its going to be read

Mine works the same way. only they require those things so you can do a mock interview based on the interview styles and traditional stats of your choices. the only ppl that sees our scores are the interviewers some of whom will be professors or administration. Our school then sends a committee letter saying how "ready" that applicant is for that particular school.

I dnt know if yours is like this ,but if they require it before its because they are using them to assess how qualified you are for the school and to add to the letter. I think its the same with the personal statement. a lot of times they'll ask people to rewrite it if it isn't up to standard. im pretty sure its going to be read

I should be more clear. I guess I am okay with the committee reading it because I am forced to submit it to them. I just want to know if the committee is allowed to share that with other professors. Any laws or rules against sharing students PS or MCAT scores with professors.

Just for additional information purposes the committee has all my letters and they know that I have already submitted my application, so no editing will be taking place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask them. I'm willing to bet they would never share it with anyone else without your approval first.

Reactions: 2 users
The adcoms on here frequently mention that you need to be able to talk about anything in your application freely and detached emotionally (e.g. if you are describing how a death in the family motivated you to pursue medicine, you need to be able to cogently describe your reasoning without crying, etc.). By being concerned that your professors might read your personal statement, I am just wondering if you're going to feel comfortable answering questions from adcoms during interviews. We obviously don't know what you wrote, but just something to think about.

The adcoms on here frequently mention that you need to be able to talk about anything in your application freely and detached emotionally (e.g. if you are describing how a death in the family motivated you to pursue medicine, you need to be able to cogently describe your reasoning without crying, etc.). By being concerned that your professors might read your personal statement, I am just wondering if you're going to feel comfortable answering questions from adcoms during interviews. We obviously don't know what you wrote, but just something to think about.

I will be absolutely fine with that and can do it. My campus is a small community and we have a small science department. I have another year to complete so I wouldn't want my personal stuff out. Thank you for the response !

I will be absolutely fine with that and can do it. My campus is a small community and we have a small science department. I have another year to complete so I wouldn't want my personal stuff out. Thank you for the response !
Med school can be a small community, and you have to be there for 4 more years.

if you're that worried about it... draft up a legal document and have them sign it.... OR JUST ASK THEM IF YOUR PS IS FERPA PROTECTED

if you're that worried about it... draft up a legal document and have them sign it.... OR JUST ASK THEM IF YOUR PS IS FERPA PROTECTED
Going to do the former haha just kidding. Thanks guys