Pre HPSP Question

texasgnart

Apr 29, 2018
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello,

I apologized if this already posted or dumb, but i was just curious about the Army HPSP Program.

Let me put as a senario.
    If i enroll as a freshman right now for a bachelor/master degree in either Counseling/Clinical Psychology or Optometry and then apply for Army HPSP Program would it pass the requirement?

From what i research from Wiki "As inactive reserve officers, the students are required to serve 45 days of active duty for training (ADT) each fiscal year" Does that mean for each year of my freshman/sophomore and so on i be in the field training as an officer for 45 days then come back to my degree study? Or do i have to finish at lease bachelor degree before consider?

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
    10+ Year Member
    May 26, 2007
    1. Attending Physician
      Hello,

I apologized if this already posted or dumb, but i was just curious about the Army HPSP Program.

Let me put as a senario.
      If i enroll as a freshman right now for a bachelor/master degree in either Counseling/Clinical Psychology or Optometry and then apply for Army HPSP Program would it pass the requirement?

From what i research from Wiki "As inactive reserve officers, the students are required to serve 45 days of active duty for training (ADT) each fiscal year" Does that mean for each year of my freshman/sophomore and so on i be in the field training as an officer for 45 days then come back to my degree study? Or do i have to finish at lease bachelor degree before consider?
      The HPSP program is a scholarship for graduate level health programs. You would need to finish your undergraduate degree and be accepted into a graduate level health program to apply for the scholarship.

Last edited:

USArmyHPSP

7+ Year Member
      Nov 12, 2009
      1. Academic Administration
        It sorta seems that you are putting the cart way in front of the horse here...

First, decide what you want to be. Social Worker? Clinical Psychologist? Optometrist? There are threads on SDN that cover each of those. Do your research, and then make your decision. I would recommend, spending the time READING each of those forums before asking anything. That will avoid the obvious - this has been answered in the past answer. Spend some time shadowing someone in each career field. Find out from them not only what they like about their chosen career, but the downside as well.

After the proper amount of soul searching and ensuring that the path you are choosing is the best fit, finish your undergrad with that goal in mind. As far as HPSP is [email protected] is correct. While you can apply for HPSP late fourth year for some disciplines, others you can't. Some applications need a letter of acceptance from the graduate school, some don't. The Army will only provide HPSP scholarship for the last two years of didactic study in clinical psychology, and does not offer any scholarship for a Master's in Social Work. Again, research and due diligence is really necessary - you are making life decisions here. Take some time to figure out what is best for you.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.