Pre Intern Reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walkmandingo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm starting general surgery residency in June and haven't been doing anything clinical for months now. In order to avoid being ridiculously stupid/killing patients, I was thinking of doing some reading in the next couple of months. Any recommendations for a text that is good pre-intern year reading? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Lonely Planet [insert destination here]

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm watching the movie right now on Netflix streaming. Apparently it was never released on video or shown in theaters, but was shown a few times on HBO/Showtime awhile back. It's just now available to watch.

how is it? :thumbup:? :thumbdown:?

You should be spending this time to hone your skills at call of duty or get ready for portal 2 etc etc. Everyone has a different take on this but reading at this point in my opinion is stupid. You will prob not remember by the time intern year roles around and every place has their own favorite book and way of doing things. If your gonna read anything, read a travel brochure for an upcoming trip. Mine was Disney world and the world of Harry potter. Don't regret it for a second. You got 5-7 years to prove yourself and as I approach the end of my intern year I'm realizing being well read is only part of what makes people like you as a resident. In fact I would argue that being personable (well liked) and and getting the work done are much better qualities this year.

Any overall advice for being an awesome intern Musashi450?