Pre-interview dinner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abbycornish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the proper attire for these "casual" pre-interview dinner/social events? Business casual? Casual casual?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the proper attire for these "casual" pre-interview dinner/social events? Business casual? Casual casual?

Thanks.

I remember last year this forum was brimming with these kinds of post so I am sure you'd find a great deal if you did a search. I believe business casual was the most agreed upon though.

I remember last year this forum was brimming with these kinds of post so I am sure you'd find a great deal if you did a search. I believe business casual was the most agreed upon though.

Is it atypical for a program not to have a pre-interview dinner? How will we be notified if there is one? The reason I ask is, a friend of mine received 2 IVs but there was no mention of a pre-interview dinner in either the initial invite email or the one confirming her date. I imagine this could put a wrench in travel plans.

I get that in this case, we'd have to contact the program and inquire. However, I was wondering if this is usually the case for every program or if that information is usually provided in the initial correspondence?

Is it atypical for a program not to have a pre-interview dinner? How will we be notified if there is one? The reason I ask is, a friend of mine received 2 IVs but there was no mention of a pre-interview dinner in either the initial invite email or the one confirming her date. I imagine this could put a wrench in travel plans.

I get that in this case, we'd have to contact the program and inquire. However, I was wondering if this is usually the case for every program or if that information is usually provided in the initial correspondence?

I don't know about it been atypical but surely, not all programs will host a pre- interview diner. All the interviews my friend went for last year didn't have any pre interview dinners. As far as I know, the invitation would be included in the initial email if indeed there was going to be a dinner.

I don't know about it been atypical but surely, not all programs will host a pre- interview diner. All the interviews my friend went for last year didn't have any pre interview dinners. As far as I know, the invitation would be included in the initial email if indeed there was going to be a dinner.

Thats interesting, all my interviews last year had a dinner.

it was mixed for me, some had a pre-interview social event of some sort, others did not. i'm a guy, and for most of these i wore khakis or pants with a dress shirt, no tie. jacket was for warmth, not fashion. i saw ladies dressing most often in skirts or pants and a nice blouse, but usually not the type of business suit you see female residency applicants wearing. unless you are a super sharp dresser, you don't want anyone noticing your attire one way or the other. go with this type of classic, simple attire and no one will, rather they will or won't remember you based on the quality and quantity of your interactions. and make no mistake, the pre-interview dinner does matter.