Pre Interview holds at 2 schools, should I be worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Byfellox

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was recently placed on 2 interview holds with dead silence from the rest of the schools I applied to as I became complete on early to mid July. As I am seeing interviews are being handed out and spots are being filled I am wondering if anyone could share some info about receiving interviews later in the cycle and potentially getting off the hold lists.

As far as stats go I am sitting on a 504 and 3.65 overall and 3.6 Science GPA from a well regarded undergraduate program. I have around 1000 hours of shadowing and volunteering in different hospital settings where I was also able to conduct some clinical research but no publications and other ECs that involved non-healthcare volunteering etc. I am confident in my LORs and no obvious red flags that I am aware of besides the relatively low MCAT score. I am also white and state of residence is NY.

The Schools that put me on hold so far are:
AZCOM
ACOM

Members don't see this ad.

It's still very early in the cycle (for DO especially). The people on sdn who are receiving early IIs represents a small sample size out of everyone who has applied thus far. I know it's tough but you just need to be patient

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I was recently placed on 2 interview holds with dead silence from the rest of the schools I applied to as I became complete on early to mid July. As I am seeing interviews are being handed out and spots are being filled I am wondering if anyone could share some info about receiving interviews later in the cycle and potentially getting off the hold lists.

As far as stats go I am sitting on a 504 and 3.65 overall and 3.6 Science GPA from a well regarded undergraduate program. I have around 1000 hours of shadowing and volunteering in different hospital settings where I was also able to conduct some clinical research but no publications and other ECs that involved non-healthcare volunteering etc. I am confident in my LORs and no obvious red flags that I am aware of besides the relatively low MCAT score. I am also white and state of residence is NY.

The Schools that put me on hold so far are:
AZCOM
ACOM
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out IIs merely in chronological order.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat. Really nervous about whether these holds will eventually become IIs. I emailed one school and they said "we reviewed your application and simply have no final decision yet". This sounds very similar to the GW holds...

Would we be in a disadvantage if we have nothing (new grades, publications) to update during the wait?

It's so early OP, especially for DO schools. Pre II holds aren't even necessarily a bad thing. My advice? Spend less time on sdn and meddit. It's hard not to compare yourself to other on here, but fact is interviews will be going out for the next 6-7 months at least.

Reactions: 3 users
Its so early, I wouldnt worry. I got waitlisted at AZCOM also, and denied a secondary at another school right off the bat. Then got 4 II's in a row. It can turn around very quickly, and its only August!

Reactions: 3 users
Generally, AZCOM does not interview the sub-507 MCATs until around January. You can find more info on past AZCOM threads.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand you, I'm sitting in radio silence and it's killing me.

I’m in the same boat as you with pre-ii holds from AZCOM and ACOM. I know I shouldn’t be on SDN but I can’t freaking stop refreshing School specific threads and my email. I definelty have a problem lol. I just want an interview because all this silence has me thinking that my app isn’t good enough. Good luck, I’m sure you will be fine when it’s all said and done. :)

I’m in the same boat as you with pre-ii holds from AZCOM and ACOM. I know I shouldn’t be on SDN but I can’t freaking stop refreshing School specific threads and my email. I definelty have a problem lol. I just want an interview because all this silence has me thinking that my app isn’t good enough. Good luck, I’m sure you will be fine when it’s all said and done. :)
Relax. Interviews happen from now till a couple months into 2019

Schools will interview up until the end of April and it's not even September yet. The II's seem to go out for people with high stats first and then work their way down to the lower stats. Those with high MCAT's/GPA's will likely have multiple interviews and will end up with multiple acceptances. Keep in mind most schools accept 3x the number of seats they have for this reason. SDN can be frustrating as it the place for neurotic premeds (myself included) but remember there's a whole world out there for those who don't use or post on SDN, and a lot of them are patiently waiting as well.

At the end of the day all we need is one school to accept us. If your stats are in range and you applied broadly then keep the faith. Your turn will come.

Reactions: 2 users
It looks like ACOM is putting everyone not getting an II in the "hold" category. Have they rejected anyone post-secondary?

I feel like the ACOM pre-interview waitlist is turning into George Washington University's "hold" status.