Pre-Interview Holds...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phantomx87

Wishing I was a bum
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am definitely not a newcomer to the medical school application process, but I must admit that I have never fully understood the purpose or reason behind a pre-interview hold. Case in point: I was on pre-interview hold at Penn and Harvard, but when I called to ask about it, neither admissions offices could give me any actual information about it! :mad:

Can anyone shed a little light on the subject? Any such help would be greatly appreciated!:D

Members don't see this ad.

My view is that basically you weren't good enough to make the interview cut compared to the rest of the applicants. However, whether you were good enough to NOT make the rejection pile depends on the school. For schools that wait until certain dates to send out a big mass of rejection letters (pretty much every one that i can think of), the pre-interview hold can just be false hope when in fact you were just going to be rejected all along.

It seems that they're just setting you aside for later reviews. I actually got off a pre-interview hold (which had actually already changed to interview denied) over a bunch of people that were still "pending review." So they are definitely different piles and you can definitely get out of it. But its not a good sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
yo, interview season is over!

yo, interview season is over!
:rolleyes: haha, i know that interview season is over.. I am just trying to understand the thought/reason behind it because no one in the Admissions Offices can/wants to give me a straight answer

Okay, so I am definitely not a newcomer to the medical school application process, but I must admit that I have never fully understood the purpose or reason behind a pre-interview hold. Case in point: I was on pre-interview hold at Penn and Harvard, but when I called to ask about it, neither admissions offices could give me any actual information about it! :mad:

Can anyone shed a little light on the subject? Any such help would be greatly appreciated!:D

I think pre-interview hold is just that they can't decide if they want to interview you or reject you, so they just delay you till later.

Example: I was on pre-interview hold at Downstate, then I got an interview invite a couple months later and was finally accepted. This happened to at least 1 other person that I know personally.