Pre-interview questions from residency programs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCustals

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, has anyone gotten emailed in myeras from residency programs asking you some questions about why do you want to join their programs and things like that? If so, is this a good sign or is this standard procedure?

Members don't see this ad.

Prolly standard procedure - with everything being virtual I'm guessing some places will use this as a filter to see who's actually interested.

Reactions: 1 users
Prolly standard procedure - with everything being virtual I'm guessing some places will use this as a filter to see who's actually interested.

Thanks, it's good to know. This gives me hope since I am an IMG with a few red flags. Being noticed by a program, for me, its a good sign, even if it is just to gather more info from me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe they're required to send supplemental/secondary questions to everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, has anyone gotten emailed in myeras from residency programs asking you some questions about why do you want to join their programs and things like that? If so, is this a good sign or is this standard procedure?
As someone who applied last year and this year (SOAPed into a prelim)...this is both new and expected. Schools are getting more applications, and less time to get to know the applicants.

It's basically terrible, but at least they're not big essays like med school secondaries were. :shrug:

How did it go? Could you share some of the questions?
Im starting a Interview prep facebook group for IMG's and would love to gather new questions.
My program director told me that they will be asking more about your understanding of social determinants of health and ethical dilemmas.
IMG here already graduated and currently working as a hospitalist.

the residency match insiders
I hope to reach other IMG's and help them with this info

How did it go? Could you share some of the questions?
Im starting a Interview prep facebook group for IMG's and would love to gather new questions.
My program director told me that they will be asking more about your understanding of social determinants of health and ethical dilemmas.
IMG here already graduated and currently working as a hospitalist.

the residency match insiders
I hope to reach other IMG's and help them with this info

This is not a fairly common occurrence and not a ground breaking through to help your students. A few programs sent out emails to those who applied asking "why our program", "why city X?", etc. It was probably an effort to try to focus the application the review process. In addition, applicants at certain programs (ex. GWU) were notified midway through the interview season that they were on a waitlist and were invited to write a bit more about why they wanted to be there. Again this is not common and isn't a huge deal. It's not an essay, but merely a paragraph.