1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Pre-interview visits to schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DentalDi, Sep 17, 1999.

1. DentalDi

DentalDi Member

Hi! I'm currently applying to dental school and realize that schools have to invite us to interviews. However, has anyone attempted to visit schools before interviewing to just take a tour? Is it good to meet w/someone from admissions (scheduled or impromptu), or would they be turned off by my "wasting their time"? (I've already submitted my application, so this wouldn't really be counseling.) Any thoughts on the issue??

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mugpot

Mugpot New Member

DentalDi: Go ahead and call each of the schools you would like to visit and ask for a tour. Reasonable administrators will understand that their schools are on display as much as you the prospective student are. However, you may find that a school to which you've already applied will show more interest in hosting you than one to which you haven't. Good luck!

4. DentalDi

DentalDi Member

Thank you very much for your advice! I really want to find out as much as I can so I can really compare what the various schools have to offer: people, facilities, curriculum, environment. I just wasn't sure whether tours were only for interviewees. And now that school is in session, I might be able to see more than I would have this summer! Is there anything in particular that you recommend my looking for on a tour?

5. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing

Resident [Any Field]
  6. Beestieboy

Beestieboy Keep on keepin' on

Dental Student
    During the summer, my brother got married in Arizona. I made it a point to call them ahead of time and see if I could meet with someone and talk to them about the school and take a look around. They were very friendly and I had a great visit. It definately made me more interested in the school! I didn't get the feel that they were put off at all by having me come. There are people there whose job it is to show off the shcool to prospective students and at least at Arizona, they did a good job.

7. kurt10

kurt10 Member

Dentist
    I took the Dat on July 19th and had already sent in my AADSAS stuff in may. On the 20th I had a planned vacation to Ft. Lauderdale so I planned a visit and gave them my DAT scores. I met with their Dean of admissions and their admissions secretary(probably most important). Two weeks later I was in SF visiting my other sister and she knew some UOP students from church. one happened to be the D2 class president and he took me on a tour and I got to speak with the dean of admissions. Now I think it helped alot with Nova I got an early interview that i felt good about :) . But my UOP status isn't as good. They posted on their website that they would further review my application in Dec :(

8. Sweeti8286

Sweeti8286 Senior Member

Dentist
    I'd say you definately should visit the school if it's not too far from where you live or if you'll be in town that day. Picking and choosing schools to apply to is important since you'll be staying there for 4 years so that it won't waste your time or money on the application part. If you live in Boston and want to see schools in Cali is a different story...it'd be just more efficient financially if you apply, get an interview, (that's if you like everything you see on their website and perhaps friends who go there) and then decide for yourself then. But getting in touch with the admission office would be good if you want a tour. They can usually hook you up with a student.

9. duh?

duh? Senior Member

Pre-Dental
    I have a PENN interview soon. I'm thinking of getting to the area a day before my interview to familiarize myself with the offices and the people I may meet on my interview. Do y'all think this is a bad idea since its one day before my interview? Do you think I should call ahead to let them know?

10. Sweeti8286

Sweeti8286 Senior Member

Dentist
    You don't need to...I went in a day earlier when I went to my interview at Case Western. I found the room I was supposed to be at the next morning and I got to look around. You can just blend in as a patient looking for a room.... :D