Pre-M1 clinical research...need some help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justcantwait

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The medical school I'll be attending in the fall has a great opportunity for pre-M1 students to engage in summer research (either basic science or clinical). I was a research assistant in basic science research during undergrad, but did not find it very fulfilling. Now, I would really love the opportunity to try my hand at clinical research.
The problem is that I know nothing about it, nor do I even know where to start in regards to developing my own project (which is what they want us to do). Without any medical training how can I develop a meaningful project?
Any suggestions from those who have worked in clinical research, either their own or someone else's work?
Any good websites to check out and get ideas rolling...?
My biggest issue is I just don't know where to start!!!

Any advice is appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

Have your tried speaking to the coordinator of the program? I'm sure he/she would have more information.

I am sure that your medical school's program will provide enough structure to make the experience meaningful. It would take much more than a summer to develop your own research project, obtain IRB approval, recruit subjects, run the protocal, analyze the statistics and write an abstract. My hunch is that they will pair you with a faculty member or resident who is currently involved in research to provide suggestions and assisitance. Finding a mentor who is involved in research in a field of your interest who you could work with throughout medical school could be an obtainable goal for this summer session.

My best advice would be to take the summer off and go to Costa Rica, Egypt, China or just chill at home and try to nail all 1000 achievement points on guitar hero. You are going to be spending the next four years submerged in medicine and you will have little time to spend on your self for at least the next 10 years. There will be plenty of opportunities for research in medical school, and it sounds like you already have a solid research background. Congratulations on getting accepted! and welcome to this incredible profession. Best of luck with whatever you do this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the best advice is to save those thoughts for summer before MS11. Use this summer to travel and perhaps learn another language which will help you immensely in medical school and beyond!

I am sure that your medical school's program will provide enough structure to make the experience meaningful. It would take much more than a summer to develop your own research project, obtain IRB approval, recruit subjects, run the protocal, analyze the statistics and write an abstract. My hunch is that they will pair you with a faculty member or resident who is currently involved in research to provide suggestions and assisitance. Finding a mentor who is involved in research in a field of your interest who you could work with throughout medical school could be an obtainable goal for this summer session.

My best advice would be to take the summer off and go to Costa Rica, Egypt, China or just chill at home and try to nail all 1000 achievement points on guitar hero. You are going to be spending the next four years submerged in medicine and you will have little time to spend on your self for at least the next 10 years. There will be plenty of opportunities for research in medical school, and it sounds like you already have a solid research background. Congratulations on getting accepted! and welcome to this incredible profession. Best of luck with whatever you do this summer.

Agree with above. Like many pre m1's, we too were excited to get started and get involved and certainly this is a good thing to have. However, think twice, then some more before you do any intense work before school starts rather than enjoying a restful break. There are others who go non-stop work till the Friday before school starts and then Monday morning start Med School.

It's not worth it. Relax and enjoy your time before school starts. It doesn't even have to be travel. I used to travel a lot for work and I hated it whenever someone suggested I do that. What we are saying is do something fun and relaxing for you. Please don't say it's fun and relaxing for you to do clinical research. :p

thanks everyone for the advice! I'll certainly take it to heart!