Pre M1 interested in ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linz20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will soon be graduating college and am off to the University of Iowa to begin med. school in the fall. I'm really interested in ophthalmology at the moment. What can I do to get involved early? Thanks for any advice!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

linz20 said:
I will soon be graduating college and am off to the University of Iowa to begin med. school in the fall. I'm really interested in ophthalmology at the moment. What can I do to get involved early? Thanks for any advice!! :)

a lot of medical schools have an ophthalmology club, that's a good place to meet 3rd and 4th year medical students who are going through the match process or have already been through it. You'll have a nice little summer vacation between 1st and 2nd year and at a place like iowa, i am sure there is no shortage of research projects to get involved in...if research interests you. that's also a good time to shadow a resident in clinic and see what an ophthalmologist acutally does. good luck and keep an open mind. there are lots of great fields in medicine.

Ruben

linz20 said:

Congrats on coming to Iowa!

You're interested in ophthalmology? You're going to be one lucky person.

Contact Andrew Lee, MD because he runs an ophthalmology club for medical students and buys you pizza. He is very involved in residency training too. Look at the competencies site he built with me on www.eyerounds.org - http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/eyeforum/compindex.htm

Andrew Lee is a "big wig" in the ophthalmology community.