pre-match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam1999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepting a pre-match is pure personal decision but in which circumstances one should consider one? For Example, old graduate, USMLE scores, visa etc. I just want to know different opinions on that one as for some people it might be too risky to go for match.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepting a pre-match is pure personal decision but in which circumstances one should consider one? For Example, old graduate, USMLE scores, visa etc. I just want to know different opinions on that one as for some people it might be too risky to go for match.

If you realistically think you will fare well in the match, and the prematch offer isn't your dream residency/specialty, then pass on it. In all other situations you should probably think long and hard before letting one slip away. Not much more anyone can offer on this I don't think -- it's very person specific. But the match seems to be getting more and more competitive each year, so prematches probably will be snapped up more and more these days. You have to realize that if a program offers prematches, it also means the program doesn't think it will do better in the match, which is either a compliment to you or a big red flag about the program (take your pick).

Can someone clarify if Canadian med students can accept a pre-match? I did a search but can't find this question specifically answered. Looking at the NRMP website, Canadian grads are considered 'independent', which sounds like pre-match would be possible. Not that I am looking for this, I am just wondering what is kosher :)