SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Pre Matriculation Curriculum

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mma, Jan 15, 2002.

1. mma

mma Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Hi Folks,

I have two questions here:

1. Does anyone know what schools offer prematriculation courses (a couple of weeks in the summer) for those of us who are old/non-science majors/etc.?

2. Is anyone going to start studying for med school before med school start? If so, what do you think are the main things to look at? (I need help with this one--it just seems like such a vast world of knowledge that I don't even know where to start!)

Thanks for all your help!

;)

mma

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lilycat

lilycat Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2000
    ???
    Most of the schools that do offer prematriculation courses only offer them for their incoming students. The ones that come to mind immediately are UCSD, UT-Houston, and UTMB although I'm sure there are more.

For most people, first semester consists of gross anatomy, cell biology, histology, biochemistry, and embryology. Some people have some physiology in there too. Pick what you feel is your area of weakness. Anatomy and histology may be a little overwhelming to dive right into without any sort of guide so I would probably recommend cell biology or biochemistry instead. However, if you try doing this on your own for a week or so and feel like you're not getting much out of it, I think it's probably better to put the books aside and just enjoy your summer. You'll have to buckle down enough once classes start anyways.

4. ccryder

ccryder Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 14, 2001
    I know that U mich and U Wash both offer pre-mat sessions.

5. mma

mma Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Are there any books (text, review) that you all might recommend for studying a little cell bio/bio chem on my own?

Thanks for all your help!

mma