Pre - MD: Registered Hospital Pharmacist or Bachelor of Pharmaceutics and Therapeutics Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bec_almond

Reaction score
I am currently a third year enrolled in a Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours) at UQ in Australia. I have provisional entry into MD at UQ, which is a Postgraduate course only. I need to decide whether to do three years of pharmacy (exiting end of this year and graduating with a Bachelor of Pharmaceutics and Therapeutic Science) or to do the entire degree and internship year (5 years). If I do three years I'll be able to start earning a doctors wage two years earlier, and start making a family etc. I am turning 20 this year, so two years isn't a crazy difference in terms of starting my life. If I do 5 years (including intern year), I plan on running for QPSA president, then obtaining an internship in Hospital Pharmacy and then becoming a Hospital Pharmacist Locum so that I have weekend and holiday work while studying med. I feel like this would be a smarter career decision, as I would have a more thorough understanding, but am worried about the two extra years that it takes. I would like any advice or insight on this matter, as I am struggling to make a decision.

P.S. I am not super worried about university course fees, as it all goes to HECS (interest free), which I pay off once I start earning above a certain threshold.

Members don't see this ad.